Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BA Baracus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Scotland
Looking for base iMac to replace my G5 iMac which has served me well but is starting to get a bit clunky.

UK retailer Dixons is selling refurb base i3 iMacs at £735 (includes an 8% discount voucher and basically £300 saving from new) - Apple online store usually sells these refurbs for £865-ish - so a good saving.

Are Dixons refurbs supplied by Apple or some other source? I would have no hesitation in getting a refurb from Apple but Dixons are not renowned for their quality customer service and repairs!!!

Any comments from members.

Thanks in advance.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Honestly, I've no idea where the refurbished models are sourced from.

However, I've bought plenty of things from Dixons in the past (including many iPods and a few Apple Keyboards, along with two refurbished PCs which seemed good as new). If a refurbished PC seems good as new I think it's safe to say a Mac is going to as well.

If you can, though, I'd try and order the machine into the store (you can do this by contacting their retail store team, who will order it in-store) so that you are happy with it before leaving.

Also, if you can, I, along with many others, would recommend you wait a few weeks (if you can), as the iMacs are slightly overdue for an update according to the BuyersGuide; the pricing for the refurb models may go slightly lower.

zin

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The words "Dixons" (incidentally an online reseller only now, unlike their DSG siblings) and "refurb" should be considered in the same context as "testicles" and "sandpaper".

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I've had a Dixons refurb (non-Apple) before. Mine was OK but missing stuff, which I had to call up for. Others have had horror stories, so it is a bit hit and miss.

Dixons uses third party workshops to repair and refurb stuff.

ukpetey

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Durham, England
I took delivery yesterday of my new base 21.5 iMac, which I bought online via Best Buy in the UK. I used a tip I read somewhere on these forums, and Quidco - something I knew little about.

That tip got me £150 off, plus 8% cashback of the discounted price (ex vat), a further £56. I have to pay my 12 months subs to Quidco of £5 from that. Best Buy delivered free.

All in, the £1000 iMac will have cost me a shade under £800. I know a new model is imminent, but with the huge discount, I bit the bullet, and am very pleased It's a huge bump up from my 2007 iMac! :D

Hope this helps.

Peter

The words "Dixons" (incidentally an online reseller only now, unlike their DSG siblings) and "refurb" should be considered in the same context as "testicles" and "sandpaper".

lmao........

i personally loathe dixons.. their unfriendly, obtuse and verging on obnoxious sales staff... i vowed i will never shop there again

i agree with zin (i think) wait for the imac refresh and get a refurbished imac then- at least if you go with apple directly they will honour the warranty and actually have insight into their own products.. as supposed to the scripted BS reeled off by dixons..

i went with my pops to go look at samsung LED tvs, the sales guy just read out the wee info cards... ffs! he was supposed to be the audio and visuals expert!:eek:

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
A client ordered one of these last week, I'm going over to set it up tomorrow so I will let you know what impression I get of it.

I've bought other refurb DSG computers in the past with no issues and plenty of Apple refurbs too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.