Quality of DVD Rips? I'm confused...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JellyFish, Jun 23, 2007.

1. JellyFish macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have discovered Handbrake and I ripped the first DVD of the Fellowship of the Ring. How do you get the highest quality possible? I just went with the automatic settings. I also forgot to check the chapter thing to do there were no chapter markers. Oops.

I am very new to this and do not really understand what I'm doing. I bet you guess that already though, right? :D:rolleyes:

I am very excited about streaming LOTR over my Apple TV. Yes, I have the discs but I hate bothering with them. I want it all on a hard disk so I can stream it whenever I want it without bothering to put the discs in and change them and all that crap.

Thanks if you can explain some of what this stuff means. :)

2. JellyFish thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I reripped LOTR Fellowship of the Ring at 100% quality (I think that was the setting) and it's almost 5GB!!! Wow! So the better it is, the bigger the file eh? :eek::confused:

3. JellyFish thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, Quicktime says the file can't be opened. I must have screwed it up somehow. Damn. :mad::(

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try DVD Player, or VLC :)

5. JellyFish thread starter macrumors regular

I am reripping it with the Apple TV preset defaults. Duh. Maybe if I had just done that I'd have saved myself some aggravation. ;):p

Well, live and learn. It ain't easy being a newbie you know. ;):D

6. nlivo macrumors 6502a

g'day mate.......basically whenever you rip something at 100% quality (this is for me), handbrake will automatically quit when it finishes and for some reason the file doesn't play....what i do is rip it in 100% but do a half of the movie at a time....this for some reason doesn't make handbrake quit and then you join the two together in quicktime (i have quicktime pro and im not sure if you can do this in regular quicktime).....i then just export to appletv and it looks amazing.....the file is around 1.5gb after exporting it but it still looks amazing!!!!!

7. jparenteau macrumors newbie

I've converted about 40 DVDs for my Apple TV using the default Apple TV settings and it looks amazing, even on a 100 inch wide projection theater setup. Any higher quality level, in my opinion, is unnecessary.

8. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Rip at 99% quality?