Quality of iTunes Plus tracks converted to MP3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by netnothing, Jan 11, 2009.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

So now that iTunes Plus tracks are unprotected, you can re-encoded them right in iTunes by right clicking and choosing Create MP3 Version. This of course comes in handy for those devices that refuse to read AAC files.

Does anyone know what kind of quality loss this would result in? I've done it a few times and can't say that I hear that big of a difference.

As I understand it, that option uses whatever settings you have for importing in iTunes. In my case I import in MP3 format, 256 VBR, Quality Highest.

I'm guessing that this would result in better quality since the original source is higher (iTunes plus being 256 kbps), as opposed to burning an original protected 128 kbps AAC file to CD, and re-ripping it.

Any thoughts?

Any importing options that would result is keeping a higher quality?

-Kevin

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I would think that most people wouldn't notice any difference at all on most of today's devices.

3. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

you may hear a few artifacts here and there but all in all it should be ok. I wouldnt do it, but then i dont need to. the only reason to is probably as you said, if youre trying to get a song onto something that wont play nice with AAC

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking, but every time you convert one lossy format into another, you are going to lose quality. There is no way around that.

5. lostless macrumors 6502

Ive done this and the quaity loss is not any where near as bad as coming from the old 128kb/s, burn to cd, and back to mp3. I can't even tell the difference. I have yet to find an instant where I have. The higher bit rate gives you much more elbow room to down convert without loosing much more. The more you have to start with quality wise, the better the result when compressed. Technically, it will never be as good as taking a CD and converting to mp3 as you are still compressing a lossy compressed file. Give it a go and see what you find.

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

There is simply no possible way to improve the quality of music by transcoding it from one lossy format to another no matter how many bits you throw at it...

The bits in the original file are already gone ... reencoding it won't bring them back

If you convert from the itunes+ files to 192MP3 then you won't lose too much .... some people will hear the difference but for general running around and listening on the go then it matters little.

7. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

That's what I'm finding.....or at least my bad ears are finding. :D

I have my MP3 settings set for 256 VBR Highest quality....so while I'm sure bits are lost in translation.....I can't really tell at this point.

-Kevin