Quality Printer for BIG prints

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pdechavez, Sep 13, 2008.

1. pdechavez macrumors regular

I need a good quality printer to print 11 x 14 and up. It needs to be professional quality with good colors at a decent price. Any recommendations please?

Thank You

2. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

PopPhoto has a bunch of reviews on printers. C|Net also has a great section on printers, but PopPhoto is more specific to photographers. I'm also trying to decide what printer to buy, and PopPhoto is helping me to slowly narrow things down.

3. Naim135 macrumors member

Define Big 11 x 14 isn't big its under A3.

As an example look at the HP range of DesignJets they produce images up to 104" wide.

4. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Your budget will also play an important role... I chose the Epson R1900 which does super B size prints with outstanding quality, and with roll paper 13" by 40" is possible. After the learning curve of about fifteen prints, I have been blown away with my prints especially up close. That, with a budget of $500 and I'm a happy camper... I still use my connections to do the large ones anyways, not selling 30"x40" in bulk or anything, but making a killing on 12"x18"s now.;)

In my experience, Epson printer drivers are far more 'mac compatible' than HP software.:)

5. volvoben macrumors 6502

I'll interpret your use of the word 'printer' to encompass printing by someone else just because I've never been as happy with inkjet prints as i've been with real photo paper prints...

i use adoramapix for 20x30 lustre prints relatively often, as well as some true b&w prints (really b&w paper is only sliiiiiiiiiiiiiightly nicer).

my clients have been very happy with their 20x30s in particular, which I think are usually around $20 but were on special for $12 a while ago...

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think the "standard" that other printers are compared to is the Epson R2400 but look at the R1800 also.
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Landing/CompareR1800R2400.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

Be sure and do the math to see if you aren't better off sending your prints out. You have to do a lot of printing to justify owning a printer. These epson printers work well with the color managment the is built into Mac OS X.

You absolutly will need a colorimeter to calibrate you monitor and you may need hardware to calibrate the printer but it's expensive. ou can have a lab check a sample print for less or just trust the Epson profiles

7. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Have a look at Canon's offerings, the Pixma Pro 9500 and its little brother, the Pro 9000 are both quicker than Epson and don't suffer from clogged print heads.