Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
There are some topics about skins here and there.
I guess there are macbook users here, that take special care about their macbooks.

So I would like for everyone involved with this topic, to list brands that perpetually offer good quality skins for our macbook pros.
What you got in the past, what is your experience, what do you suggest to others, which skins you vote for.

Novius89

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2020
Had an incase hard shell. Didn’t protect my MacBook at all during a small drop 🤬.

Had a cheap hard shell from Amazon before that.
It had fan openings on the bottom plate and that caused discoloration after a year 🤬🤬. MBA is close on the bottom plate, so pretty useless.

I would just go for a good sleeve, incase icon that i use, I really really love.

For a skin if you really want that, just go for a cool d brand skin.

I use mine naked when it’s out of the icon sleeve, hard shells are pointless waste of money. I even read they can deform your MacBook after some time.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I know about dbrand, they are worthy for sure.
But other than that?

astorre

Suspended
Nov 4, 2021
I have Dbrand black titanium skin on my MBP 14 for a year now and it still looks exactly like the day I put it on

Reactions: cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
So, only just a few options for skins for our macbooks in the worldwide market?

tinygoblin

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2022
But other than that?
I ordered Lention skin from AliExpress last year, color matched my silver 2019/2020 16-inch MBP perfectly (see application tutorial if you'll go after that). Too bad not many color options from them and no options without Apple logo cutout (they provide cutout piece so I just snapped it back in it's place). I paid ~$12 for it including shipping (it's total for 4 pieces that is top, bottom, palm rest, touch pad, however I used only top and bottom). I also got screen protector from this company for ~$6-7 (IIRC) including shipping and it's decent as well. Overall I'm happy however I never seen dbrand products in person and probably their quality is even better (though I'm not sure if 4 times better price wise, it also would take too long to get here and I wasn't sure I could apply it well the first time, so preferred to try with more affordable option first).

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Anyone ever purchased from these ones?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I ordered Lention skin from AliExpress last year, color matched my silver 2019/2020 16-inch MBP perfectly (see application tutorial if you'll go after that). Too bad not many color options from them and no options without Apple logo cutout (they provide cutout piece so I just snapped it back in it's place). I paid ~$12 for it including shipping (it's total for 4 pieces that is top, bottom, palm rest, touch pad, however I used only top and bottom). I also got screen protector from this company for ~$6-7 (IIRC) including shipping and it's decent as well. Overall I'm happy however I never seen dbrand products in person and probably their quality is even better (though I'm not sure if 4 times better price wise, it also would take too long to get here and I wasn't sure I could apply it well the first time, so preferred to try with more affordable option first).
I have similal ones from ebay.
But with a couple of months of use, the palmrest sticker, has already slight discolorization, at the area my right had touches it all the time.
This is not a sign of high quality.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anyone ever purchased from these ones?
Slickwraps seems to generally have bad reviews. I think they offer quite a lot of options to choose from, but overall the reviews scare me aware

Dbrand skins seems to be the highest rated, and offer excellent customer support. I've purchased from them years ago, many years and so my personal experience is probably out of date. I'm wanting to wrap my MBP, but the selection that dbrands has to offer is a bit more limited, compared to others.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Slickwraps seems to generally have bad reviews. I think they offer quite a lot of options to choose from, but overall the reviews scare me aware

Dbrand skins seems to be the highest rated, and offer excellent customer support. I've purchased from them years ago, many years and so my personal experience is probably out of date. I'm wanting to wrap my MBP, but the selection that dbrands has to offer is a bit more limited, compared to others.

Do you possibly have any link or idea where I can read reviews about their skins?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you possibly have any link or idea where I can read reviews about their skins?
I recommend you do your own research so you can feel comfortable about the what you found, where as relying on a stranger could be a skewed perspective, but with that said, here's what I found via google and searching here:

Also it seems they suffered a data breach in 2020, not sure if that's something that will factor into your buying decision or not, just putting it out there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let me just say regarding slickwraps. I'm sure there are many happy customers, and its up to you to discern if the product offered is worth the price.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
Sorry, cannot help with OP:s question but I'll abuse this thread for my own question. But, thanks op, I did order a skin for my MBP 2014 from Dbrand because of you.

Any tips on where to get good quality skins for older MBP's like 2011-2013? Dbrand does not go that far back and Slickwrap reviews are so bad I wont be ordering anything from them, even if they had some.

Last edited:

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
I'd recommend Gadgetshieldz MacBook skins which are less expensive than Dbrand and the quality is great, I've been using it on my Macbook for more than a year and it didn't peel off or tear off!

Last edited:

daimyo52

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
fishskyns are fantastic. A bit too showy but great quality and texture

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
Their laptop selection appears to be inferior to others. For ARM based MBPs they only have skins for the 13" laptop - no 14" or 16" M1 MBPs
Yeah, they don't have it I was just suggesting it cause the quality is good compared to printed skins!

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I've had great success with slickwraps. I know some people have had issues with them, but I believe they are under new ownership now and they have been great. They are one of the only ones that offer a clear skin (matte and glossy). I recently purchased another skin from them for my 14 Pro Max. Its the matte glossy and it was a perfect fit.
IMG_0219.JPG

Reactions: cool11 and maflynn

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
I've had great success with slickwraps. I know some people have had issues with them, but I believe they are under new ownership now and they have been great. They are one of the only ones that offer a clear skin (matte and glossy). I recently purchased another skin from them for my 14 Pro Max. Its the matte glossy and it was a perfect fit.
View attachment 2109322
I too have the same transparent protector on my 14 Pro from Gadgetshieldz and it is better than a clear case that is expensive and gets yellowish in a few months!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.