Quality USB-C Hubs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by orbitalpunk, Oct 9, 2015.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

Can anyone recommend a quality USB-C hub that has both USB-C and standard USB ports. At least one of each. Ethernet would be a plus but not mandatory. Apple makes one but I don't need the HDMI and I am trying to avoid the really cheap stuff found everywhere on Amazon. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't think there is anything actually available yet. Closest things are Apple's hub and the Anker usb/Ethernet hub which is available with both usb-a or usb-c ends but no pass-through charging. I use the Apple hub with the usb-a variant for additional ports and Ethernet.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

There aren't any yet. USB-C is a new standard, and requires a lot of complex circuitry to work right. Most of what you see advertised on Amazon are just USB 3.0 hubs that have USB-C connectors attached to them. Unfortunately, they cannot reliably charge the MacBook, or in many cases provide more than USB 2.0 speeds.

That's why the KickStarter projects like Hub+ and Kadi Port are all significantly delayed. The most descriptive so far has been HydraDock, who has a very detailed explanation as to what is going on with their project (though they basically accuse the other projects of being scams).

There was/is some suspicion around Hydradock, as well, though they appear to have a professional website with names, pictures, and a real address, and have been a lot more transparent about the issues. That said, you might want to wait until one of these companies actually has a shipping product before committing any money.

https://hydradock.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/project_updates#preorder-nav

It seems Apple is one of the few companies who had working true USB-C devices. They probably have monopsony buying power right now and left little for anyone else. They could have made some decent sales had they made a dock of their own, but I'm guessing they view that as incompatible with the vision of the MacBook.

4. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

6. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

I've pre ordered the one from OWC, which was about 100 dollars, but it's already been pushed back twice, it says 20th november shipping at the moment.

Hub+ has stopped taking orders all together.

7. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Ah...oops. You're right ;)

Attached Files: