Quality vs. Reliability??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Irock619, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I know that the OSX system is the most reliable compared to any other OS. But what about the quality of the computer? The MAC is by far IMO the best looking laptop on the market. However, the aluminum body is very soft and fragile. Today I was wrapping up the power cord and the prongs on the male end of the cord whipped around and hit the top case next to the track pad. Next thing I know there is a small nick in the top case. The plug did not hit that hard. I had an HP laptop before this one and that thing was tough. I had it for 3 years and showed no cosmetic flaws. This MAC is 2 weeks old and already has a nick in the case which probably lowers the re-sale value of the computer.

Does anybody else feel that Apple is all about looks and dominating the software industry rather than making a computer that can take a little bump? I guess I have to be a little more careful with Apple products.

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've had many MacBook Pros. Aluminum is no different than any other material, it has it's pros and cons. Soft? No the aluminum is not soft, but you can dent and scratch it. Quality wise, this aluminum is high quality and well formed.

Overall it's very durable if a reasonable amount of care is taken. I carry mine to work day in and day out every day. If not this MBP I am currently composing this on, I'm carrying a new Aluminum MBA.

The computer is my favorite and I have lots of top of the line laptops. I would not have anything other than a MBP or MBA as my personal laptop. The quality is exemplary, the fit and finish is superb, the keyboard is solid with no flex, there is a nice anti-glare hi-res display available on the 15" MBP like mine and it's just outstanding.

So I would put it at the top of the heap.

It's as simple as that :)

3. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

4. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

I totally agree! I sold my HP and got this 2011 15" MBP and couldn't be happier. I just wish that the one time I was somewhat careless it didn't do any physical damage. Maybe these things happen because I am too anal and OCD about my high dollar electronics :eek:

Thanks for the suggestion but I take very good care of my things. Especially $1900 dollar computers. Besides, I don't have the codes that computer needs to launch a nuclear strike :D

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yup you are..

It's a computer nothing else..though I wrap mine in speck and 12 south..It's replaceable..

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Pure aluminum, yes, but the industry uses aluminum alloys, like duralumin, which have the same strength as steel.

7. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

I have a Spek case too. Of course the laptop was open when the cord hit it :(

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Thats where the 12 south comes into play

9. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by 12 south?

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

11. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

What a completely biased, unfounded generalization.

Apple dominates the software industry? Since when?

12. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wish I knew about this prior to today lol!

----------

Hmmm, do you know you are on an Apple forum? Of course the information you read here is biased. ;)