Quality

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GusR9, May 14, 2007.

1. GusR9 macrumors member

GusR9

Hello!
    I'm planning to buy a new Apple MacBook this week or next I have one last question before this happens..quality I'm extremely worried about Apple products in terms of quality, why? because in this forum and in other ones of Mac over the web I found always a commentary about a problem with a Mac, I'm specifically interested on the MacBook and I found more of the MacBook than of the iMac, MacBook Pro and others...
    What's going on with Apple quality?? My mom has a Sony Vaio and in terms of Hardware (yes hardware not software) its in perfect condition, my dad has an IBM ThinkPad again no problems with the hardware and I have a Compaq Presario that I've been using the last 7 years (yes 7 years) and its OK in every sense.
    I've been saving for a Mac a long long time and I want a computer that it can be useful not only 1 week or in the Apple Store. I want a Mac that I can use everyday at University without lossing quality quality and beauty, i want a Macbook for the next 3 or 4 years...
    It's just bad luck?? of getting a bad product?? Or the quality of Apple products have decreased over the years??

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

You have to remember that this is a Mac forum. This is where many, many people come every day to report issues they are having and look for solutions to their problems. No one ever really posts to say things are fine, which they almost always are. You really only hear about the bad.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You should be fine. I've owned 4 Macs and I've never had one problem. The vast majority of people I know have never had a problem. Go for it.

I do have one suggestion though- get a good sleeve to protect your MacBook's outer case. The polycarbonate does tend to scratch easily, even though the scratches don't show much. My iBook is three years old, goes everywhere with me and looks like it did the day I bought it because I keep it in it's sleeve.

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I second someguy. The same thing would happen if you were to walk into a hospital in any given city. You can't think, "Eek, this must not be a very healthy town; Look at all the people in here that have something wrong with them." People don't show up at hospitals just to announce that they're all fine and healthy, just as people don't (normally) post in help forums saying that their [insert product here] is just fine and dandy (although we have had a few threads saying so).

5. GusR9 thread starter macrumors member

GusR9

I get the point

I didnt think twice but thanks for your advice, yes I know Mac forums were created for solving problems of Mac fans, my point it was to have the opinion of people like you that already have a Mac for giving me a good advice! Thanks
    By the way very good point about the hospital

6. 2fives macrumors regular

Ditto. People from all over north america post here and from other places. Gotta be honest I've had 3 problems so far:

1- battery packed it in

2- one of the airport updates really screwed me around, and I had to do alot of monkeying around to figure out how to solve that one.

3- hard drive packed it in just yesterday.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If there's a problem, people ask for help. If everything's working fine, they don't :)

I've owned 5 Macs and have only had two hardware problems, and both were resolved quickly by the service centre. My most recent problem was with a DVD drive that wouldn't eject, and they replaced it not only with a new drive, but with a different brand of drive that will hopefully not have the same problem in the future :)

8. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I have three macs, all work great.
    my girlfriend has two macs, both work great.
    Macs are like any computers in that there is always the chance that you will get a dud. however if this happens, apple will replace it without question. If you are super worried though, get applecare, and you will be fully looked after for three years!