Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
i currently have a 12 inch 1.33 ibook, which i got in january (knowing full well that new stuff was coming, including the MBP), and i've always been pleased with it.

however, i currently have a problem with the power brick, which has bad fraying near the part that hooks into the ibook. the inner wire is clearly visible, and may not be too far away from coming completely off (either the shell or the wire itself).

a replacement is $80. coupled with a very much used battery (though i'm still eligible for a free replacement, due to the recall), i'm wondering how much sense it makes to invest in a replacement, or whether i should think about a macbook. a replacement power brick would be a tenth of what i paid for the ibook, which is not an inconsiderable amount.

is that crazy, or sensible?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
all of this depends on how frayed the wire actually is and when you think it might break off, how long you think you'll want the iBook, and whether you can afford a new machine.

certainly replacing the battery and power brick would last a good while longer (hopefully) but are you going to be investing money in a dying machine that you're not going to want a year from now?

i would say if you planned to upgrade to a MB in the near future, this is only more reason to do so sooner rather than later.

remember, though, $80 is significantly less than $1099.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
a replacement is $80. coupled with a very much used battery (though i'm still eligible for a free replacement, due to the recall)

a new from apple replacement might be $80, but you can find a used in good shape replacement for half that. watch the marketplace forum here, or the marketplace forum at MacNN. i just bought one new in the box for $45 shipped. and with a free battery for the asking, can't see the point in getting rid of the ibook just yet.

unless you just want a macbook...:rolleyes: i'd say you win either way.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
So, you are thinking about getting MB because of your iBook's power brick and battery are aging? I think it's a drastic way to deal with the problems you are having with accessories. I think you would see a noticeable speed bump by moving up to MB from iBook. I have sold my iBook a few weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.