quark to indesign CS3?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by nyutnyut, Jun 25, 2008.

1. nyutnyut macrumors member

used to be able to open quark documents in CS1, seems CS3 won't do that. is there a work around to this?

2. Joel Beason macrumors member

3. nyutnyut thread starter macrumors member

the quark files? it's just a regular quark file i got from a client. don't have quark right now, but i have a friend that can convert it, if it needs to be.

4. Joel Beason macrumors member

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's not CS. At QuarkXpress v5 or 6, probably v5, Quark apparently decided to put a form of encryption upon the files, which prevented Adobe working with them.

When you say work on, do you mean being able to fully edit? If so, depending on the scale of the job and how much it's worth to you, you've got two straightforward options:

1. Go to Quark.com and download the 30-day full trial to get the file to press or...
    2. Use something like http://www.markzware.com/q2id/ for $200. And it won't be perfect, there's often a glitch or two which needs some manual tweaking. Check separations and proofs carefully.

6. nyutnyut thread starter macrumors member

man, i can't wait till everyone stops using quark

7. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

Open QuarkXPress files in InDesign

InDesign can convert document and template files from QuarkXPress 3.3 or 4.1x. InDesign can also convert document and template files from multi-language QuarkXPress Passport 4.1x files, so there is no longer any need to save these files as single-language files first. (To convert documents created with QuarkXPress 5.0 or later, reopen the documents in QuarkXPress and save them in 4.0 format.)

8. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I've used this and it works very well. Pretty pricey, but better than recreating a Q file.

9. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

And MUCH less expensive than buying a quark license.

10. macpaddy macrumors newbie

macpaddy

quark down saving

hey guys do u know if there's a service that you can send you quark file to be down saved for you?

I've just gone from quark 6 on ibook (yesterday it died) to cs3 on brand-spanking new imac today. But i need to work on my old quark files...rather than download it'd be good if there was a service to just send your file and get it send back..?...do u know what i mean!?!

good idea if not!?! :confused:

Any thoughts...?..

Becky x

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, I don't know what you mean. Why not just run your copy of Quark on your new iMac?

12. macpaddy macrumors newbie

macpaddy

my ex-employer provided it but never gave me the disks or anything, just installed it to my mac so I could work from home. Didn't think twice about it til now.

:(

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Oh, OK. Well you could always download a trial version of Quark 8 from Quark's website, make some PDFs to archive the files, maybe opening them up in Illustrator at a pinch. Or try and score some Quarkness from eBay... or something.

14. macpaddy macrumors newbie

macpaddy

wicked. I'll give it a go n let you now how it goes x

15. pgm4925 macrumors newbie