Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I realize that this might be an old question/issue but I can't seem to find anything solid answer. Thanks.

I have a Quark document with EPS (illustrator eps) files imported. I am trying to print them to a non-postscript printer (hp color laserjet 3500) but the EPS files all print low resolution. The only way to get them to print correctly is to export them as a PDF and then print those pages. How can I make these EPS files print correctly right out of QuarkXPress? Is there an extension/script that I need to install?

Thanks for your help in advance!

~e

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Unfortunately, you need ps rip software which isn't cheap or upgrade your printer. We ran into this many years ago with our color Epson (even my home Epson). Seemed with any placed graphics, QX would just send the preview data and not the hires ps data. Native QX graphics were fine. The PDF workaround is the best way to get to nice printouts without upgrading the printer or investing in the rip software which I found to be unreliable sometimes.

Hope that helps! :)

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
If the Illustrator EPS files aren't printing out of Quark natively (which they won't on a non-PostScript printer) and PDF'ing the document first doesn't suit you, there's really only two ways to go:
  1. Buy a printer that can output PostScript; or
  2. Export your Illustrator artwork as TIFFs or JPEGs, instead of EPS, then import them into Quark, setting the preference for high-res output in the Print dialogue.
Option 2 should allow you to get reasonable quality prints natively out of Quark, but will take time to rip and print.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
If the Illustrator EPS files aren't printing out of Quark natively (which they won't on a non-PostScript printer) and PDF'ing the document first doesn't suit you, there's really only two ways to go:
  1. Buy a printer that can output PostScript; or
  2. Export your Illustrator artwork as TIFFs or JPEGs, instead of EPS, then import them into Quark, setting the preference for high-res output in the Print dialogue.
Option 2 should allow you to get reasonable quality prints natively out of Quark, but will take time to rip and print.

True but OUCH! The print time is brutal using rasterized vectors. We had to do that back before PDF was an option. To keep line art sharp, you really have to use higher resolutions, which depending on size can bring a printer to it's knees. With the PDF route, you can retain the vector speed and sharpness. Either way you go is a pain in the ass, but PDF doesn't sting nearly as much.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
The PDF workaround is the best way to get to nice printouts without upgrading the printer or investing in the rip software which I found to be unreliable sometimes.

Seconded on the subject of software RIPs and/or Postscript emulation ... you can spend as much on a software solution as a relatively cheap Postscript printer, with no real guarantee of any decent result.

Cheers

Jim

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
Did you try the following command in terminal?
I posted the last time you asked this question, but had no reply.

The command enables me to print postscript files to a non-postscript printer.
It restores a feature that existed in earlier versions of OSX.

Type it into terminal and hit return

defaults write -g com.apple.print.apple.pictwpstopdf YES

This setting is permanent, and it affects all applications on your system. If you later decide that you prefer the default behavior then issue this command instead:

defaults write -g com.apple.print.apple.pictwpstopdf NO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.