Quartz 2D Extreme and Disabling Beam sync?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kelv1ntran, Feb 20, 2009.

1. kelv1ntran macrumors member

has anybody else heard that using script and stuff (i used app called secrets of osx) that enabling quartz 2d extreme and disabling beam sync will speed up the computer alot? i'm tryin it right now and its making my applications open soo much faster and seems so run alot quicker but i was wondering if there is any danger in running my alum macbook like this will it cause quicker overheat? has anybody encountered any thing bad by enabling the quartz 2d extreme and disabling beam sync? if so i'm gonna turn it off right away -_-... haha thanks for the help

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

no damage will occur, but you will notice some bizarre video artifacts.

3. kelv1ntran thread starter macrumors member

What are video artifacts? Is there a benefit of turning 1 using 1 rather than the other as poossed to both?

4. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Wierd colors and boxes and mishaped polygons in 3d apps

It's useless really... it makes some core graphics effects smoother but that's really about it.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

i disabled beam sync and everything seems a tad snappier, i wont damage my system will i? and will i need to re enable it when i hook up to an external?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

These days, the difference between the 2D mode and 3D mode are very small in performance changes; in fact most GPUs set the clock slower in 2D mode, so whatever benefit you were expecting will be negated.

7. kelv1ntran thread starter macrumors member

So its safe to run? I think ill disable beam sync since I don't use a crt monitor anyways and leave quartz disabled... If anybody knows anything about this some info would be great thanks mac forums for the help