Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superted666

Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Hey People,

Ive read that enabling quartz 2d extreme will boost the power of my in terms of framerates during movies and UI stuff.

I have a new Imac 20" latest revision and my Q is will the graphics card 600xt is it? support this 2d extreme mode?

THanks

Ed

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Absolutely. You can go to System Profiler and check for yourself. Quartz Extreme was disabled for a while when Tiger was first released... does anyone know if it's enabled yet?

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
I'm pretty sure it isn't yet. Thats one of the reasons I'm waiting for 10.4.3 to come as maybe they will have finally enabled it. Probalby not though as you would think it would have made the news.

In a side note does the current ibook support 2d extreme? Doesn't it require 64 megs of video ram at least? Thats one of the things keeping me from getting an ibook. I'd buy one right now if at least a 64 or really a 128 meg vid card option was available for like 50 bucks more. I dont' want a 15 inch laptop or the 12 inch powerbook with its 5200

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
joebells said:
I'm pretty sure it isn't yet. Thats one of the reasons I'm waiting for 10.4.3 to come as maybe they will have finally enabled it. Probalby not though as you would think it would have made the news.

In a side note does the current ibook support 2d extreme? Doesn't it require 64 megs of video ram at least? Thats one of the things keeping me from getting an ibook. I'd buy one right now if at least a 64 or really a 128 meg vid card option was available for like 50 bucks more. I dont' want a 15 inch laptop or the 12 inch powerbook with its 5200

The requirements are more related to what graphics card you have, rather than how much memory it has. I believe it does need 64MB though, as well as a capable card.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
the 9550 is q2dextreme isn't it. I just am pretty sure that it needs a good amount of vram to be able to keep all the data on the graphics cards vram to let q2dextreme do what it is supposed to do. If it has to keep swapping data out to regular ram then its not gonna be a massive improvement, at least thats how it seems from what i've read

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.