Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulionvc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Hi,

Question:
Is there a way that when I try to do multiple copy/paste operations that instead of OSX Lion copying them all at the same time, it can process them one by one - like in a que?

Real Life Problem:
I deal with alot of large ISO files and sometimes prefer to just move them all at the same time to an external storage array. This way i can just have the operation run and take howerver long, say 30 minutes to run in the background.

What happens is that when I start copying/moving the Iso, OSX starts to copy/move all of them at the same time! So I might have the Copy dialog box 30 Files long all copying at the same time!

Obviously I dont like this behavior because it can lead to fragmentation and put strain on harddrive disc type of hardware (not solid state).

In addition I find it to process much slower when its trying to copy 30 7gig files at the same time.

I want it to just focus on the first file, when thats done move to the next one.

Anyone have any idea?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I understand what you want to do, but I'm not exactly sure I understand what you're currently doing. Are you selecting, say, 10 ISO files in the Finder, selecting "copy", going to the place you want them, and then hitting "paste"? Or are you selecting one ISO, copy, paste, then go to the second in another location, copy, paste, and so on?

It kind of sounds like you're describing the former, but I'm assuming the latter here, which would result in multiple copy windows at the same time, rather than a single queue of everything.

In which case, there's not that much you can do. If they're all in the same directory, you can do a multiple select and copy them all at once, which will work well. If they're spread around, though, there is currently no good alternative copy method I'm aware of. Your best bet, other than just putting off one copy operation until the previous was finished, would be to temporarily move the source files to the same directory, do a multiple copy, and then put them back (which I believe can be done before the copy operation has completed). Awkward for large numbers of files, but would work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.