Queen's Day Attack in The Netherlands

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by robbieduncan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The guy in the white shirt on the bike at the start of the clip did world class acceleration and got missed by millimetres.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Is it just me or did that car look to be really smashed up before it crashed?

Man, that cyclist sure moved his ass quick, good thing too!

4. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I believe the video is of the end of the incident. My understanding is that the car had already attempted to ram the bus and/or hit a lot of people before the video captured it.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It certainly seemed to be. Reading the report, it appears that the car went through the crowd and barriers prior to crashing into the monument, which would explain the damage.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yes, that does make a lot more sense. :eek:

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

8. TH3Mitch macrumors newbie

I live in the netherlands and I will say now what happened.

It's sure that there 2 deaths and 21 injuries wich are 6 seriously injured. It seems that the car went through the baricades ( wich explains why the car was wrecked ) hit pepole who where in the public and hit De Naald ( Monument ) The man who almost got hit by the car was an Police officer. The driver is yet not indentified. Almost every event in whole The Netherlands are cancelled accept the ones in Amsterdam who are now talking about what to do. In about 7 minutes we get press confrence live so then I wil make a new post with more information.

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

4 dead confirmed. :(

A 38 year old man, who used to work in security. Seemed to be a normal guy, but he had financial troubles.

This man tried to "hit" the bus which carried our Royal family some minutes before...
    This time he simply rammed the barriers, crashed "through" (literally) the on-looking crowd killing 4 and injuring more than a dozen. He then tried to ram the bus, but as the driver was injured, and the car badly damaged (by hitting these poor people...!), he just crashed into the monument.
    Directly after the crash the driver told the police he did it deliberately.

I just can't imagine how the hell he wanted to ram a bus with his little Suzuki..?!??
    What an idiot.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Both my parents are Dutch and my thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this tragedy.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Man... what a strange day...

Usually April 30th is a day of national partying!
    Everyone out on the streets, wearing something orange coloured, having too much to drink, but above all... having fun!
    Queen's Day is the best day of the year in Holland.

The party always starts the evening before, so sleeping in on Queen's Day is my first priority. When I finally did crash out of bed, I made some coffee and switched on the telly to see what was going on.... I never expected this.
    Usually I would have taken a shower, got dressed and gone out. But today I was glued to the TV. I had missed the incident "live", but it took no time at all to find out what had happened.
    After seeing the tragedy your mind is filled up with "why" and "how", etc. So I just stayed inside and let the information come to me.

There were people outside over here, but nowhere near the usual noise on this day... and I live just a few yards from quite a few pubs!

Unbelievable....

EDIT: 5 confirmed dead :(

12. sjwk macrumors member

Nasty.. Just saw this and now I've checked on the map, my mum only lives 10 miles from there.. No idea if she was planning to go and watch. Probably not.. will have to check in tomorrow..

Steve.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He should have been dead when they pulled him out of the car, by whatever means.

Another footnote in history.

JMHO.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Being reported he has indeed died.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Has there been any explanation, besides financial, why the perpetrator targeted the royal family?

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Not so far although the police have said there are no terrorist connections,mental health issues I would guess.

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Seemed he was mentally healthy...

I heard that the police are trying to rule out the fact that there might be another person involved..?
    I sure hope the question WHY can be answered soon. But, we may never know no that he's dead.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

That's interesting, I wonder what the motive was then,hopefully they will piece it together.

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It is bad enough as it is to die like those did. And never knowing why such a thing happened is even more torture for the families...