Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gumbaloom

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Hi all,

I just took my Macbook White 2.0Ghz in for service yesterday. It's developed a problem that I can't load media in to it and it seems theres a "subframe" which has been under some "pressure" according to the guy on the genius bar. Apart from that I'm getting the top frame replaced as it's succumbed to the usual discolouration and it's cracked in one place as well.

My question is on the Genius Bar work docket he marked it as possible accidental damage. Now we're all computer users here and I think anyone who posts here knows how to take care of a laptop. I do NOT put books on top of it. The only time I can think it's undergone any pressure is being carried around in a reasonably full Targus laptop backpack in the protective compartment with an Iskin over the top of it :O.

Are they seriously implying it's gone that way cos of that???. I wouldnt exactly call it very good design if it can't stand up to the rigours of being carried around in an average students backpack :O. If they play hard ball and imply I've done something malicious to the subframe (it's covered by Applecare btw) how much are they likely to take me for ?. How is this gonna play out. I hope it's not too much as I wanna sell this beasty on as it's just been replaced by a Macbook Pro (straw that broke the camels back kinda thing). Oh and please don't tell me I'm silly for buying now I know Santa Rosa is coming but it's given that first gen Santa Rosa MBP's are gonna be as buggy as hell till they got the bugs worked out especially with flash booting and what not so actually having a 2nd Gen C2D MBP with a high week no is actually quite comforting that all the kinks should have been worked outta this one.

Finally can anyone give me a rough idea of what a fair value for a MB 2GHz with 1GB RAM would be on the open UK market, free Iskin, warranty till Aug 09 and i'll throw in a wired mighty mouse too for boot.

Cheers

-gumbaloom

Edit - My top case is being replaced because of the EXACT same problem as documented here http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-05-16/#6775 (apart from the discolouration too)

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
All boxed, youd be looking around the £600-700 mark for the sale. I wouldnt know anything about AppleCare/Warranty etc though sorry.

mrploddy

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
I've just checked my repair status and it says Stage 1 - Request CANCELLED WTF!?!?!?.

How can they cancel a repair at the request stage without even LOOKING at it ?. I took it in to the Genius Bar yesterday so I'm guessing they've not even looked at it yet would they?? (apparently it's an instore repair and the trackpad was waiting for parts).

Anyone any ideas? Think it's something to do with the launch of the new Macbooks yesterday? Parts Shortage? o___O

-gumbaloom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.