Query regarding iPhone 6 PLUS multitasking performance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomas223, Oct 21, 2014.

1. thomas223 macrumors member

Hi,

I would like to know how the iPhone 6 plus' multitasking performance compares to the iPhone 5s and iPad Air. I have both an air and the 5s. The 5s multitasking performance seems great but the iPad Air constantly has to reload tabs in safari and apps when jumping between them.

I was wondering if someone could give me some indication of how the iPhone 6 PLUS compares to these two devices.

Also, is the iPhone 6 better than the 6 plus at multitasking because it has about half the number of pixels to drive?

Thanks for the help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean multitasking?

I find the performance good when I listen to pandora, and surf the web. That's technically multitasking but it may not be what you had in mind.

3. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

Well where I notice the iPad Air struggles with multitasking is when I have roughly more than 3-5 tabs open in safari. Jumping between the tabs causes them to reload from the web. Technically this is not multitasking but it's a form of multitasking in safari that annoys me on the iPad Air whilst on the iPhone 5s I can have double the amount of tabs one before it starts reloading them when I jump between them and open them.

Jumping between about 4 different apps on the iPad Air also causes this problem. I would for example be filling in a form on the web and then jump to mail and photos to check something and when I jump back to the safari, I would have to refill the form from scratch because safari decided to reload the page( I'm guessing because of low available RAM).

This doesn't happen nearly as often on the 5s. So I'm wondering if the iPhone 6 plus with its extra pixels, handles multitasking more in line with the 5s or the air?

4. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Yes safari reloads when you jump back and forth between apps (on the 6 plus). Seems to depend on what you're switching to though.

5. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

So would you recommend I go for the regular iPhone 6? Is it's multitasking performance better than the 6 plus?

I have to decide between the 6 or 6 plus. I prefer the 6 plus but I don't want to get it if its multitasking performance is the same as the iPad Air.

6. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I've used my dad's 6 a couple of times now and I honestly can't spot any differences in performance. It just comes down to personal preference (in screen size)

7. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go for the 6 plus then. I just hope it doesn't annoy me as much as the iPad Air when it constantly has to refresh tabs in safari when jumping between them.

8. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

All devices have 1GB of RAM and both 6 models will reload tabs. You may wanna close off some background apps before u start multitasking incase u lose data filled up

9. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I know they both have only 1 gb of ram. I'm asking how they compare. Seeing that the 5s and iPad Air differ in terms of multitasking performance, it would be reasonable to expect a difference in multitasking performance between the 6 and 6 plus.

10. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

I have tried both the 6 & 6 Plus.

6 is smoother in terms of animations. But as I mentioned, the reloading of apps and tabs will be there if you open a lot of programs.