Query regarding shrinking partition on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cooa99, Sep 4, 2012.

1. cooa99 macrumors regular

Hi ,
    My rMBP comes with 768GB SSD.

Coming from a windows environment, I always create a separate data partition on my laptop's HDD to hold all my data. This partition in my what I normally backup for safety.

Since the rMBP is 1 single Drive, I was wondering :-
    1) If The diskUtility will shrink my existing partition without destroying content of the partition?
    2) Will Shrinking the partition affect the stability of the existing recovery partition?
    3) Is DiskUtility capable of doing the Job or a 3rd party app is needed?
    cheers

css_jay99

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

????

Anyways, I dont see why this isnt possible. Disk Utility is capable of creating partitions. You would need to boot into recovery and then select your main SSD and then go to partition. It will show you a diagram of your partitions, you click on Macintosh HD outlined box, click + and add a partition and designate the size and format and click Apply. It will partition it without formatting the main drive.

I really dont know about stability, but I would assume it would probably be more advisable to do a full erase, partition and then install your OS over again.

3. cooa99 thread starter macrumors regular

And This process shrinks the existing partition and creates a new one without harming the existing install?

how will this be any better than shrinking the existing partition ....?

cheers

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yes, it should shrink the existing partition without deleting or harming any data. But, and this goes along with your second question, there is always the slightest chance that something might go wrong. So it is highly suggested that you backup everything before you attempt to do this.

99% of the time the process should work flawlessly. But if you are partitioning disks with files already on it, you are risking corrupting the OS. So imo, it would be safer to erase the entire drive, create the partition, then either restore your OS on one of the drives by either doing a clean install or using time machine. Once again, this is just my opinion, I may be over exaggerating the risk involved.

5. cooa99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much,

I booted into the recovery partition as suggested and safely shrunk the main partition to add a new one. Looks good so far ......

cheers