Ques about Mac laptop (1st timer)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harp77, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Harp77 macrumors member

Harp77

Currently looking at a new Mac laptop to replace old Windows desktop. Trying to decide between 13 or 15 inch but that’s something I will battle with the wife about.

My current situation/needs are as follows:
    -no gaming or Photoshopping
    -Retina is a must
    -have approx. 16 gigs of music on current desktop and library will no doubt expand
    -will be using MS Office for Word documents and the odd Excel file – nothing big
    -will store some photos but majority of pics are stored on a flash drive as well as Cloud

I am not sure what I need for space, performance etc but I do know I do not want buyers remorse for not getting something big enough.

Based on my usage/needs, is the base 13” retina a good choice?
    What does the following mean:
    -• 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    • Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    • 4GB 1600MHz memory
    • 128GB PCIe-based flash storage

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Sounds like yes. How long would you like to get out of it?

3. Harp77 thread starter macrumors member

Harp77

For that amount of $ at the LEAST 5 yrs

4. eneisch macrumors 6502a

If you can afford the extra $200 I would go for the mid-tier 13-inch rMBP. 8GB and 256GB is a substantial increase for the money. You could upgrade the SSD later, but the RAM is not user upgradeable.

Just my two cents...

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

As many times as practical, go to the Aapple store and play with the various models. Then you should know of a 13" screen is good enough or you want a 15" screen. Selecting the screen size cuts the rMBP choices in half.

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

If you're going for that you might want to go for 8GB of RAM and maybe a bigger SSD. I'm not sure how quickly/much your media will grow so you might not need a bigger SSD. The model you're talking about should get you there, but it depends on what type of speed you want and the things you want to be able to do in 5 years.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

If it wasn't for the lack of a physical keyboard, an iPad has enough power for your needs.

Buy the base model, or if you're afraid it'll be obsolete too soon, buy the next step up as the RAM is not user upgradable.

8. bxjagal macrumors newbie

I went with the mid macpro. It has better specs, if you can afford it spring for it. ;)

9. Bob Sanders macrumors member

Definitely get the $1499 model of the 13". Buying less than 8 GB of RAM is not a good idea IMO.

10. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

I agree with others - go for the middle 13" one. It has 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD and will definately last for 5 years. Upgrading CPU is not worth it for your needs. You might consider AppleCare if you can afford it.

You're going to be happy - I am. ;)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The mid level rMBP is a good choice. You mentioned the 15" rMBP but then focus on the 13" Are you looking to choose between the two or are you mostly focusing on the 13?

12. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

MacBOOK Pro. little difference there ;)

@OP: again: go for the 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD version!

13. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Retina screen has its problems. Looks like you're not an amateur photographer, designer or someone who cares about color uniformity. It seems that you're a reader/writer because of MS-Word. Some Retina displays have some annoying yellowish glow at the middle of screen. In short, I wouldn't buy a rMBP being a photographer or designer, but I could by a rMBP for reading/writing text taking care of not getting screens with severe color unevenness.

14. Harp77 thread starter macrumors member

Harp77

I have read the 15" is not the easiest to carry around/transport. I use a 15" latop Windows for work and I like the size as far as screen, although a little bulky at times IMO.

The cost of the 15" is a little steep, so the cost and the ease of carrying around have me leaning to the 13".

15. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

If you want 15" the base model will be fine for your needs. Even though you do not game, the iGPU is better in the 15" than the 13" and you'll have 256gb to start.

Me personally? I cant stand any laptop smaller than 15"... I know 13" would be better on a plane perhaps (I rarely fly), but I use my 15" daily for work and I just like a bigger screen. :)

If you're set on 13", then a MBA will be fine for your needs.