Quest for iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nerimon, Oct 6, 2007.

1. nerimon macrumors newbie

Hi there, I've been lurking for a couple weeks reading about people's delivery dates for the iPod touch in the UK. (my dad calls it iTouch. All the time. Without exception. He calls the shuffle an 'iShuffle' as well, really winds me up ...)

Anyway xD I've been trying to buy one in a store for the last week or so (don't laugh!) and obviously have had no luck - I've been at Regent Street at 10am but to no avail, and am regularly phoning PC World, HMV, Comet and Apple to see when stock is in - there's never anything.

What I don't understand is why people aren't talking about this ... I mean there's a difference between selling out of stock and not getting any in at all. HMV's due date was Monday, PC World said Tuesday, and neither had anything in all week with no explanation. Why aren't people more speculative as to why this is? I've never experienced a worse product launch from any company - not only has the release date now been a week late with stores still unable to stock the item, but they don't even know what the hold-up is as Apple have offered no word?!

I caved on Wednesday and ordered the touch from Argos - 2 day delivery - yet it didn't arrive on Friday and when I phoned them they said it won't be arriving for at least another week, despite what the site says, because they haven't had any stock in. Yet no-one has rectified the error and the site still offers a two-day delivery service.

So in any case, I'm still on my iPod touch quest, and having searched all of London I'm now going down to Portsmouth this weekend and I'll do more searching there. The main reason I'm posting is to enlist your help! If you see an 8GB touch for sale and you live within the Oyster zone in London, please buy it! I'll meet up with you in your nearest convenient train station and make the exchange =) I do a lot of travelling so it's becoming so frustrating that I don't have any portable music device - I'm probably going to buy a Shuffle today to tide me over while I'm en route to Portsmouth but then I'm 50 quid out of pocket when I could just buy the product I actually want ...

I hope someone can help me, or if anyone reports any stores with stock in London, please let me know.

2. Karl J macrumors newbie

I'm in the UK and I've actually had 2 now!

My first arrived direct from Apple on Wednesday. It was a week 39 that turned out to be faulty!! The sound output was in mono meaning that one earphone was silent. It was great in every other aspect but clearly you need it to play music! That one has now gone back to be refunded.

I did however manage to get a new (and perfect) one from John Lewis in Brent Cross, on Thursday. They had a stack in for sale too. I had already tried JL in Milton Keynes but they had just sold thier last 16Gb but had plenty of 8GB's.

I haven't seen it anywhere else so John Lewis seems your best bet as they seem to have regular deliveries too.

Good luck.

3. guichard macrumors newbie

Apple Store, Manchester Arndale

I bought mine from the Apple Store in the Arndale Centre in Manchester on Tuesday morning. I got a 16gb version as the 8gb was sold out. They sold out very quickly.

I also had one on order from Currys (which I have now cancelled).

They are great bit of kit.

Keep looking.

Rob

4. sewerhobo macrumors newbie

My iPT just started doing that! The right side is completely silent. I tried multiple pairs of headphones just to check everything out. My last option was a restore. That didn't work either. Looks like I'm out to get mine replaced :( assuming I can find one locally...

5. Billy213 macrumors newbie

I ordered my 8gb touch today (Sunday 7th) and i selected for it to be delivered on Tuesday 9th :cool: Now i just hope it turns up on the actual date and isn't faulty lol. Delivery was £5.95, so £204.95 altogether. Well worth it if i actually recieve it then :)

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=416606

Currys.Digital in Lakeside, Thurrock said they should be getting their 8gb stock this Tuesday, they had 16gb stock when i was there on Saturday but i went back a few hours later and they were all gone.

6. Mercod macrumors newbie

Hi, after trying everywhere in Manchester - Micro anvika, Currys, Apple Store (x2), Comet, John Lewis, etc - I was ready to give up. But I finally found one at an Apple Premium Reseller (called the Digital Store) in Piccadilly Gardens. They had 8GB and 16GB models when I called in and seemed to have plenty of stock. Have a check if there are any Resellers near you.

7. docsonia73 macrumors newbie

i ordered one from coemt this morning (sun 7th) by phoning them. thye had 16 16gb in stock - dont know about 8gb as i didnt ask. i paid 7.95 for guaranteeed delivery on tuesday morning and have received an email confirming this. good luck!

8. SigTrans macrumors newbie

iPod Touch Availability

Like many I'm wondering what's going on with the iPod Touch supply in the UK. Went searching for one again today. People in the Apple Store Regents Street didn't know when they would be in, they just asked me to check every day! John Lewis on Oxford Street had removed their display model which was there last week and when asked said they couldn't even place an order for them at the moment. Selfridges (Micro Anvika) didn't have a clue either. Could this mean there are issues with production? Seems unlikely that distribution would be messed up so dramatically when Apple managed to launch the iPhone so well in the USA. Plus the nanos and classics seem to be in good supply as far as I can tell.

9. Karl J macrumors newbie

John Lewis have them in stock on line right now!

10. dKran macrumors member

I don't live in the UK, but i'm on the same quest. I call everywhere, all the time, and no stores have had it in yet, or know when they will. Starting to piss me off, my friend ordered online off apple (i didn't want to originally, because of the screen problems, but now i know if i do, they will show up in stores that day).
    It really is friggin ridiculous though.
    i guess i'll just have to continue searching.

11. nerimon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all your help guys =)

OK I ordered from John Lewis yesterday as they apparently had some in stock, and I paid a tenner for delivery by tomorrow morning, so we'll see ... if it turns out they don't have any stock, I'll ring Comet on Lakeside on Tuesday as suggested. Thanks again! ^_^

So why do you think this delivery is so botched? I mean usually we could have expected an explanation from Apple about the delivery, but there's nothing, so ... only thing I can think of is they want to make sure they're not shipping any more defective products, but they should have still announced a pushback on the date surely?

12. Charcoal macrumors newbie

The Apple shop in Meadowhall,Sheffield seem to get a regular enough supply of iTouchs'(sic). Not many of them, but a consistent enough trickle that if you walk in early enough you'll bag a 16Gb.

I've known 2 other people including myself who have exhausted all other possibilities and have merely rang the store up, got their unit reserved until the end of the day and then got themself in ASAP.

Bit of a trek from London. But if it doesn't benefit you - maybe it will assist someon else. Oh - and they'll advise you about the Week 36/37 problems, and how they have them in stock anymore.