Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isashach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Recently, a member of The Geek Group (http://thegeekgroup.org) had her iPad stolen. The only piece of info that they have is the serial number, which is DLXG8AHMDFHY. Now let me make this very clear: they are not trying to track the iPad down through the serial number, so please avoid posting like a dozen posts to tell me that.

They are currently offering 2300$ + helicopter ride + other fun stuff for the person who sends them the info that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person who stole it.

Currently they are trying to find the MAC of the iPad.

You can get more info from these two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA49OQmFsiE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysriew2pacI&feature=g-all-u&context=G24f3b21FAAAAAAAAEAA

Tell me what you think guys ;)

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. If I had skills to help, I would.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
$2300 could buy several new ones and skip the rigamarole, since there's a low chance of catching the thief.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
$2300 could buy several new ones and skip the rigamarole, since there's a low chance of catching the thief.

It's not about getting the ipad back, it's about making the culprit pay. I guess if the owner has the time and resources to spare, why not? Make the thief sweat a little. ;)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
It's not about getting the ipad back, it's about making the culprit pay. I guess if the owner has the time and resources to spare, why not? Make the thief sweat a little. ;)

I understand that, that's why I pointed out that there's a low chance of that happening.

isashach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Knowing what they have done in the past, I can guarantee you that they will get it back. I primarily came here to ask you guys advice about how to find the MAC, without looking through the AP logs, instead of to be told that they're probably not going to find it ;)

EDIT: oh, and Tim Cook is now in on it too. Whoever stole the iPad will have their life destroyed!!

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Any reason why they didn't setup the free, built-in Find My iPad software when they received their iPad? It's like an easy button for these sorts of situations.

Unfortunate.

isashach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Why would Tim Cook get involved with an iPad stolen from someone's apartment?

Because some of the members there work at Apple.

Oh, and I would appreciate if people would stop saying what they could have done... but rather what they should do now.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Oh, and I would appreciate if people would stop saying what they could have done... but rather what they should do now.

This gave me a nice laugh. It's an internet forum, you don't really get to regulate the content. I think it's perfectly reasonable to point out that these "superiorly intelligent" people could have saved everyone a lot of hassle by switching on find my iPhone. Frankly, to me they come off as entitled. People's iPads get stolen everyday.....but how dare this happen to them! Maybe they still have a little to learn about an ounce of prevention.

isashach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Wow. This must be like the unfriendliest community ever. Every time I come here looking for answers, I either get blatantly obvious remarks, or just pure hate.

Thanks guys.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I think it's perfectly reasonable to point out that these "superiorly intelligent" people could have saved everyone a lot of hassle by switching on find my iPhone.

They explained they already did the easy stuff, they now need some people extreme skills.

I take it as more of a challenge to solve a puzzle by crowd sourcing. An easy to use app, to track an iPad that has been stolen and wiped, might come out of this.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
It sounds like a fun contest and competition created out of a crappy situation. They're offering an entertaining and generous reward in order to help catch a thief because they have the resources and it's a nice and amusing thing to do.

These negative comments of "they should have/could have" and implying that they should just lay back and accept the situation are just sad and lame. Have fun blaming the victims of a theft and bitching about the party (which you were invited to) from the outside.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Even if it does just, kind of boringly, end up being dropped back off to the owners anonymously.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
M.I.6: Ethan Troll.

(if anyone here did work at Apple, they would not say so or get involved here as it would not be deemed "correct" in their contracts. I agree with another post that people's devices get stolen all the time, take a lesson from this and buy a new one. Or wait, would your organisation rather hand out $2300 reward rather than $499 for a new one? Are you sure this is just not a hoax to direct traffic to your own site?. Restore from backup from iTunes or iCloud!, save the dollars and CO2 footprint + "other fun") I just don't buy this story much...

Last edited:

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
I leave MR for a few months and this is what I see...

Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning guys? He asked whether anyone could help and there have been 2 (!) constructive responses. And to the conspiracy theorist above me, I don't think it's an elaborate farce.

To the OP, not everyone here is a jerk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.