Question: 2011 MBP 13" base vs. 13" MBA 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gdeputy, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I have the MBA as seen in my signature. I'm contemplating trading a local person for a 2011 Sandy Bridge MBP 13" base. Aside from portability does this seem like a good deal?

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yes, you get a better processor, ability to add a larger hard drive and upgrade to 8GB RAM. You also get a Thunderbolt port too if that is what you like and a FaceTime HD camera.

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

What do you mean 'aside from portability'?

Since when did the 13" Macbook Pro stop being portable?

I would jump on that deal, the person trading with you is an idiot.

4. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

the MBA is a much more portable device.

Also, why are they an idiot? A refurbished MBP 13" base is $1019, a refurbished MBA same spec as mine is $1100.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You're kidding, right? It's what, like a pound and a half lighter?

Because the Sandy Bridge MBP is like twice as fast and can actually be expanded/upgraded, where the Air (ANY Air) cannot be. You're getting an infinitely more capable computer than the person you'd be trading with.

Finally, the search feature is your friend. There are innumerable threads discussing the differences, though admittedly mainly comparing the new Airs to the new MBPs.

6. Fernandez21, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

do it. Sandy bridge is a HUGE upgrade over core2duo thats on your 2010 air. You can later swap out the hard drive for an SSD. It is a much more capable machine.

As for portability, I just don't see how much more portable the 13" air is over the 13" pro, they have the exact same foot print. Unless you carry a bunch of stuff, the extra pound and a half shouldn't be that big a deal.

7. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

No, I'm not kidding. It's only a pound and a half maybe but there is a huge difference in lap usage. If your laptop is on a table I can 100% agree there is no difference, but what about using the laptop on like a bed on your lap? (Probably 50% of my personal usage) or on a couch on my lap? I own a PC laptop that is comparable to the MBP and it's a BIG difference in convenience and comfort compared to the MBA.

I do agree that the MBP being upgradable is a great plus, and that's mainly why I'm considering the trade. But as far as more capable computer.. It's sort of a moot point. If I could choose between a loaded MBP or a 13" maxed air (sandy bridge) I would go Air every day.

8. T4R06 macrumors 65816

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

So you're one of those willing to pay an enormous price premium in exchange for a less capable machine?

Hey, it's your money . . .

10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

It seems like a good deal to me. I'd go ahead and make the trade.

11. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I have a brand new MBA...I wouldnt trade it for 13 pro even if I got paid for it... its just on another level after using it for a while...Personally cant stand the bulky 13" mbpro that my gf has, nor my old 15" anymore.

12. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol you guys are a riot.

All of a sudden the 13" MBP is bulky and suddenly became a desktop replacement :rolleyes:

Look, it's your money, you don't need to justify to anyone why you like the Air ... Just stop embarrassing yourselves with statements like "it's more portable", "it's just as powerful".

In my opinion, the Air is for people who simply want something different. The 13" MBP has the same footprint as the 13" MBA and is only 1.5 lbs heavier ... Hey, it's also cheaper!

So please explain what is so amazing about this Air that you guys keep harping on about?

13. Minhthien, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

Minhthien macrumors 6502

op really want us to try to talk him into the trade but deep inside he doesn't want to! :D

Op If you are happy with your MBA just keep it! Pointless thread!
    btw: my 15' is on my bed and sitting on my lap! np here!

14. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

15. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Honestly it IS more portable, you're not going to convince me otherwise because I have both styles of machine. However I know the MBP is more powerful and for longevity purposes that might be attractive to me.

Some people in this thread have been rude, not sure why but it speaks volumes about your character. For those offering insightful information or just an opinion, thanks a bunch :)

16. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Provide me one situation in which a 13" Macbook Pro couldn't be transported but a 13" Macbook Air could.

I know the same argument can be applied to the 13" Macbook Pro and the 17" Macbook Pro ... But I think the differences between those two machines are obvious.

With the 13" MBA and 13" MBP the difference in size is almost nothing. The Macbook Air is fractions of an inch thinner and 1.5 lbs lighter. That's it! ... Yeah, big difference there.

----------

If you want to keep your Air, by all means do so. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is your opinion because it's your computer after all.

But bear in mind that his MBP would net you significant performance over your 2010 MBA while retaining a very portable form factor.

I don't mean to be rude, I just cannot tolerate the faulty reasoning being thrown around in this thread. I don't see how the 13" MBP all of a sudden became a hassle to take from point A to point B simply because Apple released a computer that weighs 1.5lbs less.

17. T4R06 macrumors 65816

if you guys have both MBA and MBP 2011 you will feel the difference!

MBA is like a toy for me while MBP is really a PRO!

18. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If you prefer the Air, keep it. To claim the Air is substantially more "portable" is absurd, as Adamantoise points out above.

Who? If you think facts are rude, you're in for a rough life. And if you think anyone here has been rude, that speaks volumes about your character--there's no need to act in a passive-aggressive manner. You asked for facts and opinions, you received them.

19. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

If i'm sitting on my couch and I want to move the Pro with 1 hand it's substantially more difficult than it is with the air.

I'm not talking about transporting it in a bag, in day to day handling (assuming your not setting your laptop on a desk, which I don't, that's what my desktop is for) it's much more manageable than a pro. Let me make it even easier, it's much more CONVENIENT.

I agree, in a bag there is no difference, the footprint is the same. I use my laptop on the couch and bed, I have a dog that loves to run up on my lap, it's a lot more difficult to lift a pro above my head so my rambunctious dog can kiss my face than it is an air.

What's the point in arguing here? As far as being rude, you specifically made a PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE comment about how I spend my money. My comment wasn't passive aggressive, it was rather direct.

This is ridiculous. Some people have been really helpful, some have not. It's an issue of ergonomics and convenience, not transportation from place to place. I agree 1 LB is no difference.

You're not going to convince me that it's more convenient than an air as far as daily handling though.

EDIT: and as far as a rough life, it's been anything but. I've been quite successful in all my ventures but I do appreciate the sentiment.

Double EDIT: And finally, one point I specifically forget to mention and is arguable one of the biggest: Screen resolution. While the MBP is a more powerful machine (i'm in no way arguing that) it does cause me to drop my screen resolution somewhat significantly. From 1440x900 down to 1280x800.

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Dude, just keep your air. Most people here said get the pro instead, but you retort with reasons not to. So its obvious you don't want to trade your air and if you did, you would regret it and want it back.

21. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Sigh . . .

Keep the Air. Remain passive-aggressive. We have presented facts. You apparently find those facts displeasing if not offensive.

And screen--oi. The panel in the Air is a travesty if color means anything--it has something like 55% or so of the color gamut and accuracy of the panel in the Pro.

Good luck with your Air.

22. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

How have I been passive aggressive? The facts presented I've mostly agreed with. At no point did I find them displeasing or offensive.

I agree the pro is more powerful, I agree it's upgradeable, I agree it's a great machine.

I'm just torn deciding if screen resolution and convenience outweigh those variables.

As far as color gamut, that may be true but I'm not a graphics professional, color quality isn't super important to me as much as screen real estate.

23. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

the color will just look better on the mbp and make regular tasks more eye appealing

24. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

That's always a plus! :)

25. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

If you cannot justify the trade for the MBP by now then perhaps deep down you don't want to part with the Air. If so, keep it, be happy. There's really no wrong choice here, just minor shades one way or another. They are so close that it really IS a hard choice. I had a 13" air, then got a 11" air and then finally ended up with a 13" mbp. It's just a matter of which one resonates best with you and everyone is different so what works for these other dudes and ladies may not be the same as what works for you. You're asking for subjective opinions when what you really need to do is decide which you think you will be most happy with.

As for the portability issue: 1.6 lbs is enough to notice. I can feel the difference between the two. I wish the mbp weighed 1.6 lbs less but you know what, 4.5 lbs is still really light for a computer that can do AMAZING work and has one of the very best LCD screens on the market right now with very few that can claim to be better.