Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
I am thinking of buying a Powermac 1.8 G5, I just wanted to know if anybody has one, and if they can tell me anything? Thanks

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Re: Question abot 1.8 G5

Originally posted by MacManiac1224
I am thinking of buying a Powermac 1.8 G5, I just wanted to know if anybody has one, and if they can tell me anything? Thanks

Anything specific you want to know? In general, I love mine. It seems to be as fast as my old dual 1.42 and on some things faster. I was pleasantly surprised with the speed, I expected it to be slower until panther is released. It is super quiet! Also, the build quality is amazing. It also looks tons better in person than pics on the web.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Originally posted by MacManiac1224
just if you are finding any problems with it?

My isight is not working, but is shows up under the profiler. So I think it is software related. Otherwise, it has been perfect. So far so good! (knocks on wood)

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by nospleen
My isight is not working, but is shows up under the profiler. So I think it is software related. Otherwise, it has been perfect. So far so good! (knocks on wood)

Bad iSight, eh? Maybe take it to an iDoctor and get some iGlasses. ;)

GrizzlyHippo

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
on the sofa
More questions about the G5

Originally posted by nospleen
Anything specific you want to know?

nospleen, does your G5 sleep properly - i.e. wake from sleep without crashing or kernel panicking? Also, is it really that quiet even when you are rendering video or doing heavy photoshop filters (if of course, that's the sort of stuff you do with it...).

I'm waiting for a Rev. B purely because of all the niggling problems that I had when I bought the Rev. A G4.

Thanks for any info,
Grizzly

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Re: More questions about the G5

Originally posted by GrizzlyHippo
nospleen, does your G5 sleep properly - i.e. wake from sleep without crashing or kernel panicking? Also, is it really that quiet even when you are rendering video or doing heavy photoshop filters (if of course, that's the sort of stuff you do with it...).

I'm waiting for a Rev. B purely because of all the niggling problems that I had when I bought the Rev. A G4.

Thanks for any info,
Grizzly

I have not had one issue with the sleep function, A okay there. I already made a dvd of my little nephews first birthday and it is was very quiet. The harddrive is not the quietest, it is louder than the fans, but only rarely do you hear it. I think, and this is just my opinion, it is almost as quiet as my old 17" imac. I have not used photoshop heavily on it yet. I did download the update though. I expected to run into a few issues with the rev A, but so far I am extremely happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.