Question about 13" MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jg216, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jg216 macrumors newbie

I am ordering online the higher end 13" MBP. The 750gb hard drive is extremely large and will suffice completely. However, I am interested in the solid state drive. The options are 128gb and 256gb. I have a large external HD that has 320gb, and i dont mind using it. So should is the solid state drive really much more reliable and better than a regular 750 gb hd?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The SSD will make the computer feel so much faster it is well worth the purchase.

3. jg216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Now should I spend the extra cash for the 256gb ssd? or is the 128gb enough if i have my external hd?

4. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

I asked the same question earlier today and came to the conclusion that it's better to stick with 750gb HDD then upgrade it to a 256gb SSD. It's not pricy to go this way + you will get to keep the 750gb HDD.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

My suggestion, DO NOT get the higher end MBP. Buy the base model and upgrade the RAM and SSD yourself by buying through a third party like newegg or amazon.

Get 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD and you will notice a drastic speed increase.

The upgrade in the processor is not worth the $300....these are the exact words from a veteran Apple genius I went to for my last 2011 MBP purchase.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you don't use the SuperDrive then you could grab this and put the 500GB HDD the MacBook Pro comes with in there and then grab a third party SSD for the hard drive spot. I have 3 OCZ Vertex SSDs in my Mac Pro and they've been running great. You can get them on www.newegg.com for a good price.

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Also if your not going to use the optical drive, buy an optibay and put the original HDD in it. Use the SSD for the OS/Apps and store all your files on the HDD.

----------

my exact words...lol

8. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

Wow this is a great idea. How exacty are we suppose to do this tho? And also is there any negative affects of using a 3rd party item on the computer?

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The new 13" might be slightly different than this, but it should be pretty similar. Follow the guide here. And no, no negative effects from using the caddy, I've used then several times before and never had an issue. When I get my non-retina 15" I'm going to go this route.

10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

11. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

I just bookmarked this. Thanks for the detailed answer, appreciate it.

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

No there is no negative effect using third party items. Apple essentially uses third party items too, but obviously come labeled for Apple. They use toshiba/hitachi HDD and samsung ram. You can buy original equipment at http://www.macsales.com , but it is priced usually higher than other companies. They will work the same.

Definitely use the ifixit.com guides. They show you how to install everything and even have tools for sale that you might need. I believe Apple is now using their proprietary Pentalobe screws

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm grabbing the Sandisk Extreme SSD (this one), it's about the same price but should be faster and it's using the sandforce controller which doesn't slow down as much as the SSD is used over the months and years.

You're welcome, glad I could help :)

14. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

Do the 13" support 16gb of ram? At the same time is the difference between an i5 and i7 noticable when you run autocad, solid and etc applications?
    Basically, What are the benefits of gettin an i7 and not an i5?
    Sorry if I'm going out of topic but I'm sure the owner of the topic would love to hear your answer.
    Thank you.

15. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I think it's maxed out at 8GB. Only difference is a faster processor. If you have $300 to easily spend for the upgrade then go ahead. From what I have read it's not worth it and it's more feasible to get the i5 base model and just upgrade the SSD and RAM from the $300 you'll be saving.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they should support at least 16 as the last gen could do 16

17. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yes you're right. Apple officially supports 8GB. But Lion has full support for 16GB ram, so you can definitely do 16GB like the last MBP. I forgot about this tidbit.