Question about 13" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hewhohoggs, Dec 29, 2012.

1. hewhohoggs macrumors newbie

So I recently downloaded Borderlands 2 for Mac and I've been playing it on low settings. The entire time I play, the fans are running at 6000 rpm and the temperature sticks around 90-94 Celsius. Does this sound normal? Will it harm the computer if I play for a few hours a day this way? It seems really hot to me. I'm just wondering if I should take it to the Genius Bar or not! Oh yeah, I'm running 8 GB RAM and intel HD 4000.

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Perfectly fine. The processors in this computer are designed to reach 101 C before a force shutdown occurs. Theoretically, the computer can last any given amount of time as long as it's underneath those conditions. If I were you, I would just enjoy the game and not worry about it!

Also, expect GGJ Studios to make a full length post with helpful information soon. Although they can be somewhat long, give it a read. Bountiful information awaits.

3. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Just to compound on what the above poster said, it's normal. Heat does wear components, but you aren't likely going to reduce the real life of your machine doing that. You will have upgraded your machine LONG before you wear out components like that. The CPU will force shutdown the machine before danger occurs.

4. hewhohoggs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both! I hope the poster you speak of does give me a long response to ease my worries!