Question about 2010 Mac Pro and screen tearing with certain games (FFXIV)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lifeguy, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Lifeguy macrumors member

I recently bought a 2010 Quad Core Mac Pro and I’m experiencing some serious screen tearing with games like FFXIV. I’m not sure if this has to do with my monitors refresh rate (8MS) or my graphics card (ATI5870). If you check my other threads you’ll notice that I’ve already been having graphic card issues. I’m running the game with Windows 7 64 bit through Boot camp and have all the latest ATI drivers.

I’ve also been noticing some lag in certain parts of the game (mostly in the city states) and am wondering what could be the problem? I’m running the game at 1920 x 1080 with texture and shadow quality set at Standard, no AA, and most of the in game effects turned off (physics, extended drawings, dust effects ect…)

The specs for my comp:

2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Nehalem
    4GB DDR3 SDRAM
    1TB 7200 RPM HD
    ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB
    Mac OS X 10.6
    Windows 7 64 bit

Also using a Dell 23” Ultrasharp (U2311H) hooked up through the DVI port.

Thanks in advance.

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

3. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately the game doesn't have a Vertical Sync option.

4. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

You can do it in the drivers...

6. xispec macrumors member

Hmmm I went ahead and gave in and bought a ATI 5770 from the store and installed it to the Mac Pro, but I'm still getting the darn error everytime I try to launch the game "FFXIV.exe has stopped working." even when I know it meets the minimum requirement. Square Enix is also taking 3-4 days to respond to tickets through their support center. This is starting to piss me off...