Question about 2014 Macbook Pro VS. 2008 Matte Screen Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GordonGekko999, Dec 28, 2014.

1. GordonGekko999 macrumors regular

In 2008 I made the switch from Windows because I hated Vista and I'm glad I did because I find the Mac OSX to be far superior. At the time I went with the matte screen because my previous Sony Vaio was matte and I never had any eyestrain issues, I test drove a non matte Vaio and found my eyes burning after 20 minutes.

Even though my early 2008 Macbook Pro is still running strong, I think the new Macbook Pros are offering such a jump in performance it is finally time to buy a new one which I'll probably do later in the year.

My question is how are the new anti glare retina screens? For anyone that chose matte over glossy years ago, has the glossy evolved and improved so it is no longer an issue for you?

If it is still an issue for the matte screen diehards, has anyone placed a Moshi matte screen protector over their retina screen and has it been worth it?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Moving from an early-2011 15" with matte screen to a late-2013 rMBP, glare isn't an issue (at least indoors).

When working outside, it still attracts glare like a solar panel. I've learnt to tolerate the glare because putting an antiglare layer over it would ruin the color gamut.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've had all three screens at some point:
    2008 uMB (glass, glossy)
    2011 MBP (matte, hi-res)
    2013 rMBP

The latest machines have a much improved coating on the glass. Glare is still a minor problem outdoors, but indoors I don't notice any reflections where they could be very distracting on the 2008 uMB. The IPS screen is a massive improvement for viewing angles.

Given the option I'd still prefer the option for a traditional matte screen, but alas that isn't available.