Question about.... 2g Phone on ATT Network with no data plan for my 8 year old

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BitDrive, Apr 26, 2010.

1. BitDrive macrumors member

I have an extra 2G, since my wife and I upgraded to our 3G phones awhile back... My special needs 8 year old daughter has an hour ride each way on her school bus and I would like to give her our old iphone to use for emergency's and it will have games, video & music etc.... I handed her my iphone and told her to call and text a message which she did without any problems at all (probably because she's had an itouch since they came out).

Anyway I have read a few threads here regarding using an old 2g without data so as not to get hit with $40 a month, she doesn't need data and this phone is very easy for her to use. Phone and texting is all we want her to do for communications. We have ATT would like to add it to our family plan for $10 a month.

From what I understand and please correct me if I'm wrong...

- Get a Go Phone
    - Remove Sim, go to ATT store, get a new Sim and Activate with a data block (WIX?) on that specific number.
    - Go home, put Sim in old 2g and I'm done?
    - The phone is currently jailbroken and currently works on my wifi

I heard someone mention an APL or something in another post and wondered if I had to change that, even with a WIX data block on the new line?

Thanks in advance for any help...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you got a WIX block then you're good. No need to do an APN block.

3. BitDrive thread starter macrumors member

Very cool. Thanks.

Will I be able to purchase games/content for her via Wifi (on Itunes) if the phone is jailbroken?

4. BitDrive thread starter macrumors member

Worked perfect!!!! Thanks for your help Applejuiced.