question about 32gb iphone / 200gb icloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MetalMatt24, Dec 4, 2016.

1. MetalMatt24 macrumors regular

MetalMatt24

I dont know if this is in the right section. but I got a 32gb iphone 7 plus
    ad quickly realized its not enough storage. I know I can take the phone back within 14 days and pick up a 128gb phone, but as of now they are all out. So I upgraded icloud to 200 gb. is that an easier work around?
    by using the icloud photo library to compensate for the minimal 32gb on the phone, by just sending everything to the cloud?

2. avtella macrumors regular

Same here ordered a 32GB Matte black, regretted it, then went to the store and they had a Jet Black 128GB Sim Free so I took it at the end of October.

You can use iCloud with "Optimize Storage" enabled for photos but depending on your apps and usage it still might not be worth sticking with the 32GB version.

3. MetalMatt24 thread starter macrumors regular

MetalMatt24

I plan on getting a 128gb and paying the extra $100...hopefully the apple store gets them before my 14 days expire for the return policy

4. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

What are you going to use the 200 gig iCloud for? If it's just pictures and video why not use google photos? It's free, or one of the countless other free cloud back up services. I hate to hear someone paying for something when you get something pretty equivalent for free, even if it's only $36 a year.

5. mrochester macrumors 65816

Google Photos is only free if you go for the compressed option and a lot of people have objections to Google's business model and try to avoid using them where possible.

6. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Understand about the business model, but the pics only get compressed if they're over 16mp I believe. And even then you could use box, Microsoft onedrive, Dropbox or one of the many others that are free.

7. mrochester macrumors 65816

Absolutely, but if you want a seemless across device experience, iCloud is where it's at.

8. MetalMatt24 thread starter macrumors regular

MetalMatt24

I thought i could use the icloud so the phone wouldnt fill up with the 32gb

9. DarkSorrow82 macrumors regular

DarkSorrow82

Google photos is not free. Sure you get 15gb free space but when it's gone they charge you like anything else. [​IMG]

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

200GB's of photos?
    That's way too much to carry around with you at all times.
    You can save and transfer them to your computer or USB drive for free.

11. Stevessvt, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016

Stevessvt macrumors 6502