Question about 3g 4.1 and Baseband Downgrades

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sclough, Oct 10, 2010.

1. sclough macrumors regular

Ok, I'm totally new to iPhone, but I've done a lot of reading on jailbreaking and unlocking. I have an iPhone 3G that my friend upgraded to 4.1 as he was using it on At&t. I'm wanting to connect it to my t-mobile account. I can't downgrade the os because I don't have the SHSH files and 4.1 doesn't have an unlock (and I'm wondering if it ever will) so I'm trying to see if there are any options for using this phone.

I'm thinking the only possible option would be, as it's a 3g, to see if it has the old bootloader and then try to use Fuzzyband to downgrade the baseband. Is this even an option? If not, it sounds like there is no option to unlock this phone unless a 4.1 unlock shows up which I'm guessing probably won't for a while..

Sorry if this has been covered before. I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm trying to bring all the info together.

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

The firmware you are on is irrelevant to being able to unlock. Your baseband (modem firmware) is what matters for the unlock. Upgrading to 4.1 upgraded your baseband as well so now you can't unlock. If you can get fuzzyband to restore your old baseband you will be able to use ultrasnow to unlock but I've heard mixed reviews of being able to do that.

3. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. I may wait for greenpoision, jailbreak it and see if the Fuzzyband works. My hopes aren't very high that it will, but there's nothing to lose is there?

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Nope trying certainly won't hurt but you can use limerain and try it right now if you'd like. Waiting for gp isn't going to help you unless you are just not wanting to use geohots tools for the jb.

5. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

Good point, I may go ahead and try. Who knows, maybe I'll also get surprised and they'll unlock 4.1 soon :D

6. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

In case someone else is trying to do something similar, I just downloaded f0recast and it gives you the stats of the iPhone. In my case it was basebad 5.14.02 and bootloader 6.4 so I'm out of luck for now...