Question about 3G iphone? PLEASE LOOK INSIDE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sako94, Jul 17, 2008.

1. sako94 macrumors regular

Ok well today i waited in line for a hour and half to get my 3G iphone as a gift from my friends family. It was me and my friends dad waiting. After we had gone through a few proedures he asked my number to see if it was availbale for an upgrade and he said it wasnt so it will cosT $400 instead of the $200. But then i asked him can i use my sisters availabe upgrade and then after switch my sim card with it , he said it wont work but i find that a lil werid do you think he was lieing like can i switch sims after on iphone 3G?

2. vicki2314 macrumors member

i would think you can... but i'm not sure if you would keep your number... plus your sister's contract will be extended so she won't be able to upgrade if she wanted to

maybe try calling att?

3. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

yea i know she wont be able to lol we really dont worry about that since like she'll just use my upgrade when its time like those stuff dont matter to me i unno anyone else have experiences? because today was g@y lol

4. Wailord macrumors 6502

Yes, you can. Search the forum- there's a few posts about it somewhere around here.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If your sister is eligible to upgrade then you can upgrade. Plus, you just keep the SIM that comes with the phone.

You need to be an authorized user of the account FYI, and 18+

6. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

ok if what you said is true...if i go wait in line again and my mom comes with me "account owner" when the ask for a phone number we say my sisters number and do that other stupid stuff we can come home with the iphone use the SIM ejector and pop my SIM card in it and "BaM!" it will work?

7. MV ROB macrumors member

yes it will work. i did the same thing and it worked. granted the sales person didnt enjoy it, more work for him but oh well. I used a completely different account also. I used my fathers family plan to upgrade my family plan. two lines. there is some sim card switching involved in the procedure and some other stuff too

8. harley08 macrumors newbie

If you have an existing 3G AT&T phone it works.

When I purchased my phone all they did was take the SIM from my Samsung A707 and put it in the iPhone. Bingo instant service. :D

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Just as long as if you have an account that has a contract up on it and even though yours isn't, it still works.

10. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Doesn't anyone think its weird that the OP says his/her friends family was buying the iphone for him/her? Why would your friends family buy you and iphone? And why would the Dad of said family be waiting in line with you?

Strange....very.

11. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

lmaoo yea it is kinda if you think about it. Its a graduation gift from them if that help , my friends family likes me a lot and they knew i wanted the new iphone when it came out so yea lol

12. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

one of you would have a 3g chip and the other wouldn't...right?

So, how would the numbers work? You're cell number has to do with the chip, right? So, unless she already had a 3g phone...it would be useless. Am I wrong?

13. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It will work. There's no reason to talk to an AT&T rep as most of them are pretty clueless. Just get an eligible buyer to buy the phone at discounted price and then swap the sim card. Remember to cancel the data plan for the person who is buying the phone for you, which AT&T will do with no questions ask. On that same note, remember to add the data plan for yourself.

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It's not hard at all. Most upgraded phones should already have 3G sim card, so it is relatively easy.

When they activate the new iPhone, they will deactivate the existing sim card on the phone that is being upgraded. So the person that is eligible for the upgrade won't be able to use the phone until they swap out the sim card with the sim card that is activated in iPhone. Then you swap the sim card of the actual phone number you wish to use and put it in the new iPhone and you're set to go.

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

your sister would need to be eligible to upgrade