Question about 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cc24, Apr 4, 2008.

1. cc24 macrumors newbie

Since rumors about the 3G iPhone are being tossed around a lot lately, I suppose it will be released eventually. Do you think it may be on another network in the U.S. rather than AT&T (since that network has no reception in my area:()?

2. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Unfortunately it is very unlikely. Apple/iPhone has a contract to be exclusive with AT&T for what seems to be 5 years since release.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Apple has an exclusive contract with AT&T for 5 years (2007-2012). Unless something crazy happened (Apple decides they absolutely hate AT&T, AT&T network falls apart, etc.) you're looking at 2012.

4. rayward macrumors 68000

Assuming that Apple doesn't extend its deal with AT&T...

5. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Now that's just mean...

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I hate all of the cell phone networks.
    Apple should make their own =)
    It would only cost them what... a few hundred billion dollars...

7. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Odds are that a 3G iPhone won't cost any more than an EDGE iPhone, particularly since 3G coverage is sparse compared to EDGE coverage. The exception to my cost theory would be if Apple added some premium features to the 3G iPhone, but 3G itself does not validate a price hike.

So as long as you're not having to pay extra for a 3G iPhone in an area where you can't get 3G and since 3G would automatically switch down to EDGE when 3G is not available, there's no reason to offer additional networks.

And I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it ;), but Apple has an exclusive contract with AT&T - and the analysts think those kickbacks to Apple are a pretty sweet deal. I don't see Apple breaking that contract.