question about 3g iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJJONES, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DJJONES macrumors 6502

hey guys i own a first gen 8gb iphone.
    im currently on atnt service.

since i am on a family plan my portion of the bill is 35 dollars and i share minutes with my sister.

but i want to know if i bought a 3g iphone used and insert my sim card will i get service? will i get 3g service?
    or DO I HAVE to renew my contract buy a new 3g iphone from atnt in order to get the 3g service?

what im trying to avoid is renewing my contract and also avoiding the higher prices of the 3g bill.
    not sure if my 35 dollar portion of the bill would go up if i did renew the contract anyways?:confused:

2. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. You can't use just any AT&T SIM. You must use an iPhone plan unless you unlock, and until New Year's, there's no 3G unlock.

4. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

well my plan was to continue to stay on my current first gen iphone plan and just switch sim cards? so that wouldnt work?

im technically still using an iphone date plan:confused:

5. ex8886 macrumors member

You can't buy an iPhone 3G at the $199/$299 price without extending your current contract for another 2 years. If you're already signed up for the $20 dollar iPhone data plan that they offered for the original iPhone, then as far as I know, they will let you stay on that, so you won't have to pay anything additionally, and the 3G will work just fine. If you're not signed up for that data plan, you will have to sign up for the $30 data plan at least for the first month, after that you can probably call in and cancel. And yes, the sim card that worked in the first gen iPhone, will work in the 3G.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You won't have to extend your contract if you buy the phone used from eBay/Craigslist, but you will be required to upgrade to 3G data plan, which is $10 more expensive without 200 free text message.

7. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

arright this answered my question and i gotta tell you thats just retarded.
    i guess ill keep my 1st gen iphone or eventually get another phone with 3g.

any reason why there charging 10 dollars more and taking texts away?

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Because the iPhone 3G is subsidized by AT&T, while the first-gen model was not. In exchange for eating some of the cost Apple wants to charge for the iPhone 3G, AT&T is requiring that iPhone 3G users pay the same price other smartphone users pay on their network.

FAN and corporate discounts now apply to the iPhone 3G plan though. In my case, I'm actually paying a few dollars LESS with my iPhone 3G plan than I was with my iPhone 1st gen, because AT&T is now honoring my corporate discount that I'm eligible for.

9. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

my last question boils down to this.

since a new unlocking app is coming out will i be able to unlock a 3g iphone and use it on my current iphone plan and get 3g and my 200 texts?

or will i only be getting edge and 200 texts?