question about 3Gs with new bootrom?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lakshi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. lakshi macrumors regular

Hello, i would like to know if iphone 3Gs with new bootrom can be jailbroken and unlocked with iOS4.0? Also, how would i know what the bootrom of the phone is?
    Thanks

2. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

There must be like 5k threads from the last 24h asking the same damn thing...

Attached Files:

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

4. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

My situation is as follows....

I was sent a refurb from Apple a couple days ago...the refurb 3gs has the old bootrom, but was upgraded to 4.0.

Now I have to wait for god knows how long for the new bootrom JB even though I have the old.....talk about bad luck or what! lol

5. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

So i have an employee bring me a phone today, iPhone 3GS, jailbroken using SNOW months ago, connected to iTunes and upgraded to iOS4.

Everything I read says shes screwed correct? Am i missing something?

6. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

From what I understand it all depends on whether or not she has the new or old bootrom....easiest way to tell the difference is go into Settings...general...about and check out the 4th and 5th digit of the serial number...if it's anything over 40 then she has the new bootrom and will have to wait until a new jailbreak comes out.

Actually scrap all that..........now that she has a vinilla phone you'll have to wait anyhow, because the current jailbreak for 4.0 only works if you're ALREADY jailbroken and then install the custom firmware over top of it.

Am I right everyone? Please help this guy as I've probably just confused the issue, sorry I'd erase what I wrote before but my backspace key is broke! LOL jokes...

7. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

From what I understand it all depends on whether or not she has the new or old bootrom....easiest way to tell the difference is go into Settings...general...about and check out the 4th and 5th digit of the serial number...if it's anything over 40 then she has the new bootrom and will have to wait until a new jailbreak comes out.

Actually scrap all that..........now that she has a vanilla phone you'll have to wait anyhow, because the current jailbreak for 4.0 only works if you're ALREADY jailbroken and then install the custom firmware over top of it.

Am I right everyone? Please help this guy as I've probably just confused the issue, sorry I'd erase what I wrote before but my backspace key is broke! LOL jokes...

8. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

If she has her SHSH blob stored on saurik's server, she may be able to downgrade back.

9. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

It is.

The phone used to be mine, i had it jailbroken in the past and the SHSH blob is backed up.

10. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

11. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

Yeah I downgraded, then jailbrok, then did the jailbroken fw flash, then unlocked.

Worked. now I have to get mms working again.

will deal with that monday.