Question about 4S and downgrading

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm currently on 5.0.1 and I've tried the new redsn0w to downgrade back to 5.0.1 and it works fine.

My question is, if I were to update to 5.1.1 and stay there and Apple released the next update of iOS whatever that may be (5.1.2 or 5.2), will I still be able to use redsn0w to downgrade back to 5.0.1 provided I don't upgrade to this new update? Or does Apple have to be signing 5.1.1 for me to use redsn0w? I know it's been said that Apple will implement something to stop us from being able to downgrade but is that only for people who update to the next iOS version?

(fyi I have my blobs and APTicket if that isn't apparent by now :p)

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
The team has stated Apple can block this. If they chose to do so it would be at the next firmware update. You can not restore to firmware Apple is not signing on the 4 S. They would need to find a similar exploit for the new firmware to go back to whatever old firmware.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I'm currently on 5.0.1 and I've tried the new redsn0w to downgrade back to 5.0.1 and it works fine.

My question is, if I were to update to 5.1.1 and stay there and Apple released the next update of iOS whatever that may be (5.1.2 or 5.2), will I still be able to use redsn0w to downgrade back to 5.0.1 provided I don't upgrade to this new update? Or does Apple have to be signing 5.1.1 for me to use redsn0w? I know it's been said that Apple will implement something to stop us from being able to downgrade but is that only for people who update to the next iOS version?

(fyi I have my blobs and APTicket if that isn't apparent by now :p)
With an untethered jailbreak coming soon for all devices on 5.1.1, under what scenario would restoring to 5.0.1 "in the future" be necessary ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.