Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Sorry if this seems a stupid question but after upgrading to Yosemite from Mavericks i've had endless bugs and problems. I decided to wipe my drive and do a totally fresh install of Yosemite, however after doing so I restored all my data from my time machine backup, applications documents etc. After all was done my Macbook was literally exactly as it was before I did the clean install, even down to the windows I had open when i shut down. Does this actually count as a clean install if I have then restored all my data back this way, or should I have selected not to migrate any data back and just manually pulled in the stuff I required from Time Machine.
I am of course aware that I can test the system to see if the problems I had before are still there but most of them were intermitted so I probably won't know for a while.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Restoring app's from Time Machine doesn't always work well. Most Apple app's will restore properly, others won't.

When I did a clean install, I re-downloaded all of the app's. yeah...it took a while, but didn't run into any issues.

Are you running any unusual app's that might be contributing to this issue?

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Restoring app's from Time Machine doesn't always work well. Most Apple app's will restore properly, others won't.

When I did a clean install, I re-downloaded all of the app's. yeah...it took a while, but didn't run into any issues.

Are you running any unusual app's that might be contributing to this issue?

Not that I'm aware off, this is my first Mac so I didnt actually realise that restoring from Time Machine would do such a 'full' restore after having completely re-installed the OS. I'm actually pretty impressed as all the programs seem to be working fine so far, although I don't use much more than the stock apps on a regular basis. Photoshop CS6 seems to have restored fine. Basically I wasn't sure if in all likelihood I will have restored any bugs that existed before back into the new OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.