Question about a monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrderisory, Mar 26, 2009.

1. mrderisory macrumors member

I was thinking about buying a nice monitor and wanted to know if it was possible to use it as a TV Screen. I don't need to connect cable to it, I am more wondering about my xbox 360.

Basically I want to know if something exists that can serve as both a computer monitor and something to play my xbox on.

Thanks.

Also completely unrelated but is the Powerbook G4 15" and the Macbook Pro 15" the same dimensions ?

2. MTI macrumors 65816

To display either broadcast or cable/sat tv on any monitor is going to require that either the monitor or the computer have a tv tuner. A digital (ATSC) tuner will pull in "over the air" signals, while either an ATSC or analog (NTSC) tuner will handle cable/sat. TV tuners for iMac or the laptops are USB 2.0 sticks or external boxes, like Elgato, Miglia, Hauppague, etc.

Virtually all "flat panel" home entertainment panels sold within the last few years have either SVGA, DVI or HDMI inputs to "connect" a computer to, so a new panel will have the way in, you just need the right cable/adapter.

3. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

it seems like you want to do what i am currently doing, use a computer monitor as a computer monitor and as a screen for your 360. yes, it can be done. you can use this, which is what i use and it works perfectly. my only complaint is switching from my VGA computer chord to my VGA chord on the back of my monitor, so i would recommend using a monitor with dual inputs.