Question about a replacement MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bconeill, Feb 16, 2009.

1. bconeill macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with the Apple care people who, after hours of negotiating on the phone, have decided that I will get a replacement MBP the next time my current one breaks. I have had way too many problems with this one, to say the least and am quite certain something else is going to go wrong. Anyway, I have a 15" 2.4 ghz c2d (Fall of '07 model) with a glossy screen, 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram, and a 160gb hard drive.

After inquiring about what the replacement would be, the applecare rep told me it would be a 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram, and 250 gb hard drive. I asked her what the video card would be, but she told me she "couldn't tell." I inquired as to whether it would be a unibody MBP, but she said she didn't know and we would get there, if it came to that point. She told me because my current MBP is "custom because I ordered a glossy screen" I would not be able to go through the apple store for a replacement.

Does this mean the replacement will not be a unibody or is she clueless? What is the typical Apple protocol, if anyone knows?

2. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

I don't know what the 'typical' apple procedure is, but I've heard of it varying case by case.
    How many repairs have you had done?
    What were the extent of the repairs?

I just got informed that I'm getting a new MBP. My story is over on THIS thread.

I was stoked that I'd be getting a new one because mine was 2 days old and they practically gutted it so it was like a refurb by the time they were done.
    I'm hoping for a unibody, but I'd still be happy with a matte screen pre-uni model.

In your case, I wonder if they would try to supply you with a refurbished unit since yours is older.
    But check out the macbook specs on the website www.everymac.com
    According to what I see on the 2.4 Specs, it comes with the GeForce 9600 256 meg Vid Card.

That is if you get a unibody.

3. NZLou macrumors newbie

I Have MBP 2.4 Glossy 200GB with problems

I'm curious as to the problems you experienced with MBP. I am on my second new one and it is going in for I what I think is an overhaul. It started with a 5-6 min boot cycle and then my FW 400 not functioning. Same thing on both only the first died on the genius counter. I had got mine from Macmall and got them to replace, not an easy task. What happened to yours?

4. patrick92260 macrumors member

I'm not sure how getting a replacement through AppleCare works but I just had my early 07 MBP (2.33 ghz, 2gb ram, 120gb HD) replaced a few weeks ago at an Apple Store and they gave me a 2.4 ghz Unibody MBP! Very nice surprise because I was definitely not expecting to get a brand new Unibody as a replacement!