Question about a SIM locked device

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gioz, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Gioz macrumors newbie

Good morning/day/evening everyone!

I have a small problem: when I bought my iPhone 5 at a retail store, the phone got updated and activated by the store clerk, not big deal, but now, I am trying to change my SIM card, but the iPhone, when activating, is asking me for an iCloud account's password, not my account, so surely it is the account that was used to activate the iPhone, and I lost my receipt, and that specific clerk is gone. The guys at cricket say that they (naturally) have no idea of what that account's password is and Apple won't help without the receipt, so I want to ask something:

The iPhone is not iCloud/Find my iPhone locked, as when using my old SIM card (which stopped working after AT&T bought cricket) or when it's SIM-less it works, so will restoring the device/Erase all content and setting be of any help? And if it is, if I use my backup data on the device afterwards, will it have the same problem again?
    Thanks a lot

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It obviously is icloud activation locked.
    The phone its lost or stolen.
    There's no way to go around it.
    You used it fine before but now that you had to restore or update the firmware or try to activate another sim the previous owners icloud account and password is needed.
    You can restore or erase all content as much as you want, you will not get passed that stage without that info.

3. Gioz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I will need to track down the clerk who sold me a stolen device, or go to the store, get a new receipt and get help from Apple, that would solve the issue, but I also want to know:

After going with them, be the clerk or Apple, and have them unlock my device, will I need that ID and password every time I want a new SIM or not? If the answer's yes, how can I unlink that account from my device completely?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need to go back to the store that you bought it and ask them to replace the phone or give you your money back. They sold you stolen property. If they give you any problems threaten to have the police involved as long as you have proof that you bought it there like a receipt etc...
    Apple will not help you, they don't service or deal with activation locked iphones. Against company policy.
    The only one that can unlink that device from that icloud account is the original owner that has this device linked and registered to his apple ID. Neither Apple or the store you bought it can do anything about removing that lock.
    Good luck with it and hope you get it resolved.