Question about a USB RAID case

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ZachsMacDaddy, Jan 25, 2008.

1. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I did some searching and didn't find anything on here...

I just got a Mini this week and want to get a nice external enclosure to hold my itunes library, photos, videos, etc... and I would prefer it to be a RAID1 so I don't have to worry so much about losing everything in case of a drive failure.

I have a 250GB SATA II drive and can get another identical model for a good price, but the enclosure is what's killing me. I don't want to fork out a ton for this, but I want something that will do a good job. RAID1 seems to bump the price up with RAID0 being the big player in the lower $ market.

Mediasonic makes a pair of products that do RAID0 or RAID1 and the price is good. The link below seems favorable too.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/4069-mediasonic-dual-bay-raid-hard-drive-enclosures-review.html

While Firewire would be the fastest thing, will I notice a major difference if I get the USB 2.0 model? Like I said, price is a factor. Once my music and such are on the drive, they won't be accessed all the time and mostly when sync'ing up my ipod, which will only copy over new data.

I can get the USB version and the extra drive for just a little more than what I would pay for the USB/Firewire version.

Has anyone used products from Mediasonic or better yet, one of these RAID1 enclosures they make?

2. dazed macrumors 6502a

I was going to ask the same question...its either this or the Newertechs Guardian Maximus.

The advantage of this being you don't have to use it in Raid if you don't need to.

Anyone have the mediasonic unit ?