Question about acceptable operating temperature and thermal overload

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickZac, Dec 14, 2010.

1. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Thanks to this forum introducing me to iStat Pro and how to move it from the Dashboard to the desktop, I've started to enjoy watching stats. I am curious as to what is acceptable operating temperatures for the computer? It gives specific temperatures for a variety of parts in the computer and I am just curious as to when you have an issue and want to shut the computer down. Does any guideline like this even exist?

2. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

The computer should turn off by itself if it gets too hot, their are sensors for that and for our convenience.

3. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Yeah, lately.. Mine has been doing that more often. Then again, my laptop is 5 years old and has been through a lot. I can't wait to replace it!

4. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

Yeah Apple replaced mine, I had the '06 White MB, they replaced a few months ago, while out of warranty. It was once at the point of melting my desk, and then KP'ing every other week as well.

5. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Ah, you know my pain.. Was the replacement for free? And how did you manage to do that?

6. Razzi macrumors newbie

I'm also curious as I feel that lately my book has been heating up more than when I first got it three months ago.

it's at 108 F right now with google chrome running and nothing else. it'd get up to ~180 when watching videos and other flashy things, and usually takes a few minutes before the fans even get off their asses at 2000 RPM

also, i like to have my laptop somewhat tilted when using so that there is space between the bottom and the surface. and i've actually been thinking of taking a damn dremel or something and throwing some holes in the bottom of it for more heat dissipation. of course dust and durability has got me on the fence

7. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

I am hovering between 125-140 for my normal use at the CPU, 105-125 for the heatsink and northbridge, and low-mid 90s for the base. My fan runs consistently betwen 1995-2002rpm. I've never had it shut down due to thermal issues but I was just curious as this is my baby and I am paranoid even with the shut down circuitry and if it is getting close to that point, I would turn it off prior to that happening.

Have you guys with the overheating checked to see how much dust buildup is on the exhaust fan? That's one issue I've seen with other laptops although I have no idea how it is laid out in your comps.

Kind of off topic but I had an issue with my MBP that was my fault, resulted in damage, and voided the warranty. Apple fixed everything free of charge and reenacted the warranty, despite having absolutely no obligation whatsoever to do any of this; this was a Godsend because I was completing my master's and I was so broke that I couldn't afford food, let alone computer repair costs. A few months earlier Dell wanted to charge me $150 for a new keyboard (on my older laptop) even though the one that had broke was defective. Since Apple repaired my MBP, we have gotten a: iMac, iPad, 2 iPhone 3GS's, 2 iPhone 4's, 2nd gen MBA, couple iPods, and probably some other stuff I missed. We haven't bought a single Dell product.

8. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

You are awesome. I couldnt find the exact info on the normal search (prolly my fault) so I'll use MRoogle from here on.

9. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

Today it hit 208 under heavy usage and once the fan increased speed it ran sustained at 175-190. Until a few days ago I didnt have a temp readout but its no hotter than on previous hard work times. It is a little hot for my lap tho!

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, usually if I'm going to be doing anything other than just typing or browsing, it goes on a desk if it's not already there.