Question about accounts & upgrading to Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onthecouchagain, Jun 24, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm eligible for a free upgrade to Lion since I bought my iMac recently within the free-upgrade window... but I'm wondering, if will I be able to log onto my iTunes acocunt on an old Macbook Pro (bought earlier this year) and also upgrade that Pro to Lion free?

And say, I wanted to get Lion for free for my sister's old Macbook Pro also? Can I log into my iTunes account via her computer and upgrade to Lion for free?

What's the process if I have multiple Mac computers that I want to upgrade to Lion?

2. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I think I can safely give you an answer.

You probably would be able to install Lion on your old system.

But you would be breaking the license agreement to do so. The only legal thing to do is buy a copy for the older machine.

4. Icaras, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I would second guess that. Unless you can find fine print stating that this is against their policy, I would say that it's a fair bet you'll be able to install on all your Macs without fear of violating any terms of use.

Apple has been very adamant that an App legally downloaded through their App store can be installed on all your Macs. So whether you get Lion by ponying up the $30, or through the up-to-date program for getting a new Mac, i don't think it will make a difference. Since Lion will be tied to your iTunes account, most likely as a "purchase"', I think that would give you the right to install multiple times on multiple machines. Of course I'm guessing here. But nothing I've read contradicts this so far.

Perhaps a better way to look at it is this.....After Lion is released and all Macs ship with Lion built in, if a user purchased a new machine, would that user be able to install that included copy on all of his/her Macs? I know that that was not the case with every Mac OS before Lion as one license = one machine, but things have changed now and the policy is a bit fuzzy and not as clear cut. I'm curious to know more about this particular scenario.

Any factual clarification on the subject would be helpful though. I could be wrong about all of this, but if it were me, I would just install it on all my Macs, since I legally own a copy, and Apple now seem to just care if you do own one copy per household for any of it's software distributed digitally through the their App stores.