Question about acquiring the iPhone 4 - would this work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doju, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Could I do the following?

I want an iPhone 4, and due to not having a HUP available or anything I need to buy it outright. That's cool.

But, I want an unlocked iPhone 4. I don't actually want it for the normal reasons (can switch from carrier to carrier easier) but simply because the resale value will be significantly higher.

Unfortunately, though, the nearest Apple Store is in Quebec for me (come on Apple, what's with no Apple store in Nova Scotia or even the east coast) so buying unlocked is not possible for me.

Unless I buy online. Three week shipping time is really a deterrent, though.

SO, what if I bought the off-contract (but not unlocked phone) from Bell for the same price as the unlocked, activated it and used it, but bought the unlocked iPhone 4 at the same time?

I'd wait three weeks for it to come, and when the unlocked one finally arrives, I take the one I've been using for three weeks (off-contract, locked phone) back to Bell for a refund.

Steve Jobs said within 30 days you could get a full refund and have the restocking fee waived, no?

So then, I basically don't have to wait, get the money back in the end, and have an unlocked iPhone 4 without waiting.

Would that work?

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I know :/ I'll be in Nova Soctia this week, and won't be able to buy an unlocked iPhone 4 (I live in US, so its locked here)
    You'd have to call Bell about that. Apple is accepting them for 30 days for a full refund, but resellers don't have to