Carrier Question about activating the phone with a different line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by royinla14, Sep 10, 2016.

1. royinla14 macrumors regular

I ordered the phone under my wife's number on my account. Plan is to give her my 6s and me taking the 7. When I get the phone do I need to first activate it with the sim inside which is her number or can I simply put in my sim and turn on?
    Thanks everyone.

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

What carrier? With At&t, I just swap the sim before turning on the phone.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

+1 that.

I have 4 lines and anytime I get a new phone, my main line's Sim goes into the new phone.

The phone will be viewable on your account overview with the phone number associated with the sim chip installed in it.

4. royinla14 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Yes it's ATT

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Just turn your phone off, take the sim out and put in the new phone.

6. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

Mine didn't work that way when I went from the 6 to the 6+. I was told that even though it was the same size SIM card there was a difference and wouldn't allow apple pay to work.

I spoke to a customer rep the other day because I'm doing the same thing, upgraded on my wife's line for the 7 and giving her my 6+. Customer rep said no problem and dropped a new SIM card in the mail to me for the 6+. They said before I turn the 7 on for the first time call them and they would associate the phone and SIM to my number. After that put the new SIM they sent me into my old 6+ and it would already be setup for her number.

Maybe this is necessary, maybe not but doesn't seem like a big deal and didn't cost anything for the SIM.

7. pdxmatts, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

You don't have to do that at all. I have never done that. A new phone comes with a new Sim in it. I just activate with the new sim associated with the line. It deactivates the line users old sim and activates the new sim. Then we just swap sims and phones after. It's ridiculous to think we are going to wait for a new sim to come in the mail, when there already is a new one in the new phone (In regards to the Apple Pay not working, they want you to have the newest sims for Apple pay. So activating with the new sim that came with the phone takes care of that)

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I always remove the ATT SIM card and put my exiting SIM card in BEFORE turning on the iPhone.

I have a sneaky suspicion that ATT is going to want to charge a fee for this as we were directed to the att site when ordering. If that is so, I will be pi$$ed. ATT does not deserve any fee if you change the SIM cards.

9. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

i have a related question to this - if you swap the sim cards before you turn on the phone, which line/plan will be extended/updated? specifically, if the line that you bought it on is a TDP and sim card you install in the new phone is from a UDP line, will that change the UDP?