Question about Activation Tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by myfoneisdank, Jun 23, 2010.

1. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

This is probably a simple question for many of you so hopefully you can help me out as I'm worried i'll lose all my contacts.

I could care less about my saved texts, I just want to make sure I dont lose all my contacts.

When I set up my iphone 4 tomorrow, can I set it up as a new phone? or do I need to restore from backup in order to get the contacts? whenever i sync my phone in itunes it says syncing contacts... does that mean its stored in itunes and when i set up as a new phone for the 4 i can just sync all my contacts, music, photos, etc. or can this be done ONLY from restoring as backup?

sorry to ask such a noob question, i haven't done this in a while so I forget.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

this is a good question, though i believe once you set up as new you will lose everything. :(

3. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Every time you sync it will backup your iPhone. That backs up app settings (save data on games), safari auto-fill credentials, preferences, email accounts, camera roll, contacts, etc. Not your apps and music. (just app save data)

After you activate, you will have the option of Set up as new and restore from backup. If you restore from backup, it will restore all of those preferences, settings, etc. and contacts. Then it will sync your music and apps.

Just make sure you have iTunes set so sync contacts under the iPhone tab.

4. myfoneisdank thread starter macrumors regular

really?? eek

the reason I ask is partly because i'm jailbroken now running a really old firmware and I dont want there to be any crossover problems with the new phone, hence I want to set up as a new phone. I just NEED MY CONTACTS

5. myfoneisdank thread starter macrumors regular

so you're saying there is no way to get your contacts onto the new phone if you "set up as new phone"? this can only be done by restoring from backup?