Question about adding music to Itunes Library...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Matto1020, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Matto1020 macrumors member

Matto1020

So heres the deal...I just got my MBP and am moving all my stuff of my external HD to reformat it (then will put it back on).

When I copied my music over to my MBP, I tried to add it to the Library of Itunes but it says that there is not enough room (granted my HD is full because of all the other stuff). The thing is...the music is already on the HD of the MBP...why does it need more room to put it in Itunes?

I've used Itunes for PC and I don't think it does this...perhaps I am doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

How close to full is your HD?

iTunes has a database file that stores all the library information. Adding more songs to Itunes would increase the size of this file but even with alot of music this file would still be reasonably small.

As an aside, OSX uses disk space for virtual memory, so it's never good to have less than about 10GB of free disk space.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

a default pref. in iTunes is "copy music to iTunes library". This will double the size of your music collection and is generally not needed.

Just remember though if you delete your file from the finder, there is no backup in the iTunes library when this option is not selected.