question about adding ssds

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jetjaguar, Feb 14, 2010.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i currently have 4x1tb drives in my mac pro 09 and i was looking at the option of adding one or 2 ssds in my 2nd optical bay .. what is a good adapter to allow me to put 2 in there and also what else do i need in order to connect them ?? i do not have a raid card ... thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

5. bugout macrumors 6502a

my two intel's are just sitting in the empty optical bay. They're not going anywhere as SSD's have no moving parts. Only reason to mount them would be for neatness.

6. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

are you running 2x80s ? or 2x160s ?

what else do u need to run 2x ssds in the optical bay .. because isnt there a sata and power cable there already for another optical .. so u would
    just need one more connection ? can you pull it off the motherboard ?

7. bugout macrumors 6502a

I'm running 2x160. I don't use the superdrive so I'm using the power and sata from the extra slot and the built in drive.

8. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

o ok.
    hmm i guess i will need a sata card then for the 2nd ssd

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I currently use one of these plus 3.5" to 5.25" brackets to mount two 2.5" drives in the lower ODD bay.

[​IMG]

But because I'd like to add more 2.5" drives, this thing is going to replace the current carrier.

[​IMG]

Power and SATA connectors are no big deal, since you can get adapters for almost every connection.
    Just make sure how many drives you'd like to put in there, that makes recommendations much easier.

If you want to drive a RAID0 out of two SSDs, you definitely need a dedicated RAID card, otherwise the ICH10s maximum bandwidth of 660MB/s will throttle the SSD array.
    Considering that you currently got 4 drives in your Pro which have an approximate bandwidth of 400MB/s, a single SSD would be possible without a RAID card.

nanofrog always recommends the ARC-1210 (or 1212) for the Mac Pro and such requirements. This is the way I'm going to get as soon as my 160GB are full.

10. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

thanks.

I doubt Im going to use mroe than 2xssds .. probably just one and possibly down the road adding a 2nd one. now if i got that raid card would i switch all my hdds to it ? or just the ssds ??? and what else would i need to add just 2 ssds .. 2 sata cables .. where would i pull the power from ?