Question about adding two members to our Family Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KentuckyHouse, Jun 11, 2010.

1. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

My girlfriend and I are on a Family Plan. I've got an iPhone 3GS, she's got a Samsung SGH-A877. She hates it and wishes she'd gotten an iPhone when she had the chance (obviously, we're out of the 30 day window, by a long shot).

Now, her parents are out of contract and month-to-month with AT&T also. She'd like to add them to our Family Plan and obviously they'd be due to upgrade their phones. Her idea is to add them, have one of them get a 3GS (not the iPhone 4), and then she could put her sim card in the 3GS and use it instead of her parents (they're ok with this since they could care less about having an iPhone).

My question is, would this work? Could my girlfriend just swap the sims and use the iPhone and would she still have her number or would she now have one of her parent's numbers? (As you can tell, I don't know much about this...lol).

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

This is a long way to do it, but you can. You may have to up your minutes because all four of you would be sharing.

I do highly suggest that she take a look at the iPhone 4 before purchasing the 3GS just in case. :)

3. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Just out of curiosity, what would be a shorter way to go about it? :)

And I told her she should think about the iPhone 4, but there might be one catch (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Isn't there a difference between the sim cards used in the 3GS vs. the 4? If so, she wouldn't just be able to swap her sim, correct?

4. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I am not sure about the sim card thing. Sorry! :confused:

However, she can just order/pre-order (depending on which one she wants) the phone using one of her parent's lines. Then when the phone comes, just have it given to your girlfriend. She can make the switch. I am not sure though if all is needed is just the sim card switched or whatever.

After all of this is done, you can go on with adding them to the family plan if still wanted. It is essentially the same thing, but she can get the phone without actually having to add them if not needed.