Question about Airfoil for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by palmerc2, Oct 27, 2009.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Hello all,

I have recently pondered the question of streaming audio (games, youtube, iTunes music, everything, etc etc - everything that would normally come through my 2.1 speakers) from my computer wireless since it would be a great help, having a laptop - no cables. I found a post where someone said get an Airport Express, and then buy Airfoil.

Here is my question, how does Airfoil actually work? If I am already using a (netgear) wireless router, how would I be able to connect to the airport express??

On my router I have a physical device already connected to it, which is an XBOX 360. so how would this all work out? For me able to get 1. all audio from my computer to speakers connected to the airport express 2. internet for both laptop, and X360??

Thanks!

:apple:

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you want to stream all audio (not just iTunes, but ALL AUDIO) from your Mac to a sound system, an AirPort Express works great. You can set it up so that it will simply join the wireless network you already have, extending and strengthening the Wi-Fi at your place.

Then, with Airfoil, simply by turning it on and streaming it to your Airport Express, your audio will play via your sound system. It works quite well! Note, however, I have in some cases have seen audio streamed via Airfoil that may not match up with video. So if you’re considering using this for that method, you might want to read some other reviews. Otherwise, if just for audio, it’s perfect.

3. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

what he said.

airfoil is awesome! I use it to stream Rhapsody via vmware to my sound system. No more extra computer next to the stereo and having to remote desktop in!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Airfoil also lets you stream to other computers (keeping them all in sync). It's really very good!

5. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

that is what I was trying to achieve...

Basically, my setup will be: desk, laptop, laptop stand, Bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth mouse, and 2.1 speakers.

So yes, I am trying to achieve all wireless, minus the MagSafe adapter at times. I figured audio would be good as well since I woudnt have to worry about plugging and unplugging the audio jack

I will read some reviews on it. If the audio and video will not be in sync that may be a problem

Thanks for the help!

Also, I may get a 24" led display. If I do, I can get an audio to USB adapter and plug it in the display. Maybe that can be a workaround, and can prove to be a solution to other users trying to achieve the same thing as well

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As of Airfoil 3.0 it has a built-in video player that keeps it all in sync...

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Did not know this. That’s awesome!