Question about Airplay 2, Apple TV and Sonos

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rbf1138, Apr 19, 2018.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

From what we know of Airplay 2, will it be possible I'll be able Airplay the same music to all of my Sonos speakers, along with the speakers my Apple TV is connected to? This would be an amazing workaround to not needing to buy Sonos' $300 device that lets you use your own speakers to stream Sonos music.

This article seems to indicate it but they could misunderstand: "Furthermore, Apple has suggested that whatever speaker is connected to the Apple TV, be it a soundbar or speaker system, that would automatically become a de facto AirPlay 2 speaker."

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I think you misunderstand. You won't be able to AirPlay to Sonos speakers.

Think of AirPlay (and AirPlay2) in terms of sender and receiver. The AppleTV can be either. If you have a speaker (such as the HomePod) that can receive AirPlay audio, the AppleTV can be the sender and send audio to it. Or, if you have the AppleTV plugged into speakers with a wire (such as a home theater system), then it can receive AirPlay audio from another sender such as an iPhone app or Mac app.

Sonos can't ever be a receiver nor a sender for AirPlay by itself. The only way a Sonos can receive AirPlay is if it is connected, via aux, to an AppleTV or an AirPort Express with a cable.

3. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Then what’s the excitement around Sonos gaining Airplay support all about?

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Sorry I must have missed the news. I see Sonos may support AirPlay2. In which case, those speakers could be receivers of AirPlay audio.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

This is just a guess based on the little information that's out, but i think...

airplay can send to sonos, but sonos can't send to airplay.

you won't be able to use the sonos app to send to the aTV
    also meaning if you use alexa to control sonos, you can't send to airplay

also if you have an audio input sonos, like a playbase, playbar, or connect... You won't be able to send that audio to airplay devices.

but you will be able to use use your aTV, home pod, or iOS device to send to any combination of sonos, appleTVs, and home pods, as well as any other speakers that come out to support airplay 2.